View Poll Results: Spelling

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Eleanor

43 66.15%
  • Elinor

22 33.85%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    I do a lot of correcting as is Lilla is Lila, Vivienne is Vivian (I hate Vivi-Ann so this is the worst). My main thing is if we pronounce it Elinor shouldn't we spell it that way? Or is it ok to say Eleanor El-i-nor. It's also the short i sound in common among all of them I like not the similarity in vowels.
    Wife to Ross Allen Cook 03.11.06
    Mama to Lilla Clare 12.05.09 and Vivienne Grace 03.16.12
    TTC #3

Quote Originally Posted by sarab.cook View Post
    I do a lot of correcting as is Lilla is Lila, Vivienne is Vivian (I hate Vivi-Ann so this is the worst). My main thing is if we pronounce it Elinor shouldn't we spell it that way? Or is it ok to say Eleanor El-i-nor.
    This is why I prefer Elinor. Maybe I'm crazy, but I pronounce Eleanor e-la-nor but Elinor eh-li-nor. It's a subtle difference, but it's there.
    Little Bean arriving September 2014

Zoe | Noemí Esther
    Lucas Emmanuel | Levi Alexander

Adele | Adira | Arabella | Aurora | Eliana | Elizabeth | Milena | Susannah | Zara

That is my big thing. I pronounce it eh-li-nor, thank you for sighting the difference, you said it perfectly!
    TTC #3

Now if only there was a different spelling for Pen-nell-o-pe vs Pen-nell-i-pe. I guess I really just like the short i sound in girls names and have to put it in all my favorites.
    TTC #3

I had this same dilemma two years ago! We decided on Elinor. It is a little less common without sacrificing its history. Elinor is more common in Europe (so I read somewhere) and she was even a character in Jane Austen's Sense and Sensibility. I've even meet a lovely Elinor at the nursing home my husband worked at. Don't believe the lie that it is just a no good change to streamlined modern spelling.

One more bonus... It have us easy access to our super cute nn Nori