Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ottilie View Post
    Bronwyn is a variant of Bronwen, it's not actually a masculine name, it's just the suffix. Like Gwendolyn.

I like Bronwyn, Rhiannon, Merida, Tessa, Gemma, Aurora and Meredith with Ciara. Lovely name, by the way (and absolutely a legitimate pronunciation).
    Thank you! haha, that is the first time anyone's ever corrected me on my daughter's name, but, when looking it up, my husband and I doubled checked on an Irish website, and the Gaelic way is Ciara, Keira is it's own name, and the Bronwyn thing, I think that Wen/Wyn rule is from Medieval Times, I've never met a boy named Bronwyn, and can't imagine why anyone would use that spelling for a little boy in this day in age to be honest!
    Ciara Alison Grace (age 4)

Favourite Names:

Emmeline, Juliette, Danielle, Mirabelle, Seraphina, Violet, Valerie, Merida
    Duncan, Declan, Landon, Jake, Liam, Patrick, Finn, Joshua, Adam, Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by renrose View Post
    Sorry, Mischa is right about this. Think about Ciaran. It's 'keer-un' and not 'key-AH-run' isn't it, so Ciara should be the same but without an 'n'. Chiara, the Italian name on the other hand, is 'key-ah-ra' like you're pronouncing it.

Anyway, since that's how you say it I like Verity the best. I'd avoid anything that ends in 'a' incase it sounds too matchy with Ciara.

Edit::

Is it? I'm confused now...
    Yes it is, haha we looked it up before we named her officially, and found quite a few Gaelic sites saying that Key-ar-ah was the pronunciation, also, my daughter is 4 years old, and I don't particularly appreciate being told that I'm calling my daughter the "wrong" name, she is my daughter after all, and has been Key-ar-ah since I was 6 months pregnant.

Favourite Names:

It's not the original pronunciation (that one is KEER-ah) but names develop when they move in time and crosses boarders, and to say Ciara like kee-ah-rah is fine. (Not intending to make it sound like I'm the Pronunciation Police...)
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][CENTER]My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014[/CENTER][/FONT]

Sorry, Mischa is right about this. Think about Ciaran. It's 'keer-un' and not 'key-AH-run' isn't it, so Ciara should be the same but without an 'n'. Chiara, the Italian name on the other hand, is 'key-ah-ra'* like you're pronouncing it.

*http://www.forvo.com/word/chiara/

Anyway, since that's how you say it I like Verity the best. I'd avoid anything that ends in 'a' incase it sounds too matchy with Ciara.

Edit::

Double Edit:: This is where my information comes from: http://www.babynamesofireland.com/irish-girl-names Obvs, scroll down to Ciara to hear Frank McCourt pronounce it. It lists Ciara as the Gaelic name and Keira and Kira as English spellings.
    That also pronounces Alannah as Alan-nah, rather than Al-awn-nah.

This shows Ciara as being See-ar-ah, Keer-ah and Key-ar-ah.
    http://inogolo.com/query.php?qstr=Ciara&key=1

Favourite Names:

Quote Originally Posted by ciarasmummy View Post
    That also pronounces Alannah as Alan-nah, rather than Al-awn-nah.

This shows Ciara as being See-ar-ah, Keer-ah and Key-ar-ah.
    http://inogolo.com/query.php?qstr=Ciara&key=1
    But... Frank McCourt is Irish and they're Irish names... so... I don't really know what else I can say. Good luck on your name search anyway
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Sorry to anyone who read TSI. First draft was terrible. Second drafting now.