Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Names are hard to pick!!!

While my wife and I are having a hard time deciding on the name of our baby girl we both seem to like the name Waverly. However, my wife is fixated on a name that can also have a nickname associated with it. Anyone have any ideas on a nick name for Waverly? Or possibly a middle name combination that would work as a nickname with Waverly??? Thanks in advance and we greatly appreciate any input!

Also, were not 100% sold on Waverly so any ideas or thoughts on a name would be great too. We like the carefree, summer style names, although my wife just informed me that she doesnt like names that begin with a vowel so that eliminats quite a few... some of the names we are considering are Summer, Cali, Cecily and obviously Waverly.

Thanks again...

Hi Ryan, welcome to Nameberry! It's nice to see a father taking an interest in baby naming. I have a question: is this baby your first child? If so, I would advise you to think about your naming styles. The firstborn's name often determines what names any future children will hold. Judging by the few names you're considering, you and your wife had an eclectic style (nicknames like Cali, vintage like Cecily, word names like Summer and more contemporary surnames like Waverly). Personally, I like names with depth and history behind them (classic, traditional, vintage, mythological and Biblical are a few styles I prefer).

I prefer the vintage Cecily to the more trendy surname of Waverly. I think Cecily nn Ceil/Cece would age much better. I noticed that you seem to like names that end in the "ee" sound.

Suggestions

Verity
    Felicity
    Violet
    Ellery
    Audrey
    Sophie
    Phoebe
    Daphne
    Lily
    Ivy
    Chloe
    Penelope
    Lucy
    Vivian
    Naomi
    Bethany
    Flannery
    Rosemary
    Molly
    Briony
    Avery
    Ruby
    Holly

Nicknames for Waverly - Verlie, Wavy, Early, Avie, Avery
    Last edited by mischa; April 22nd, 2013 at 02:01 PM.
    All the best,
    Mischa.

I know Waverly is a big hit here on NB, and I don't mean to sound harsh or offend Waverly lovers, but I hate it. I would definitely choose Cecily...

Cecily has the same meter as Cecily, they end in the same sound, and it generally feels more like a name to me. Cecily still gives me that carefree summer feel.

Again, sorry if it seems harsh. It really is only my opinion at the end of the day... I hope it doesn't come off as mean
    Zoe Milena
    9/12/14

I'm not too keen on Waverly myself so I'm struggling with middles and nickname options. But I've tried to come up with a few more names that feel carefree and summery:

Jenna
    Ruby
    Katie
    Melody
    Sandy
    Poppy
    Lola
    Eva
    Anna
    Sadie
    Libby
    Connie
    Mia
    Georgia
    Jessie

I like Waverly, but don't like that it doesn't lend itself to nicknames. I suppose there is Wave, but that seems a bit out there. Of the names you listed, I like Cecily and Summer the best.

Other names that give me a summer/carefree vibe (though not all have nicknames):
    Daisy
    Susannah nicknamed Sunny
    Daphne
    Wren
    Linden
    Linnea
    Layla
    Blythe
    Sabrina
    Juniper
    Rowan
    Felicity