Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

H names in French

So because I live in Montreal Quebec, and my bf is French Canadian, I will need to choose a name that works in both English and French. I know there are other Berries on here who are from this area and I'm wondering what your thoughts are on H names.
    Because the H is silent, Harrison will become "Arrison", Hadley would become "Adley" and so on.
    Are H names off limits if you need them to work in both languages?
    Planning for baby... TTC... Big name lover and will ask a lot of questions about names!

Henry sounds great it French even though the H is silent.
    I like simple yet versatile names that work well for the athlete, the comic, the genius, and the judge.

But it's actually pronounced "Enri"
    The H is still silent in the French pronounciation of Henry.
    Planning for baby... TTC... Big name lover and will ask a lot of questions about names!

If you want the pronunciation to be exactly identical in both languages, the pool of possible names is limited, and you'll have to stick to silent H names in English, like Honor.
    Blade, MD

XY: AR
    XX: CVN

Aquila * Chrysanthe * Emmanuelle * Endellion * Ione * Jacinda * Lysandra * Melisande * Myrra * Petra * Rosamond * Seraphine * Silvana * Theophane / Blaise * Cyprian * Darius * Evander * Giles * Laurence * Lionel * Malcolm * Marius * Peregrine * Rainier

كنوز الصحراء الشرقية Hayat _ Qamar _ Sahar _ Maysan _ Iman / Altair _ Fahd _ Faraj _ Khalil _ Najid _ Rafiq _ Tariq

That makes sense. I didn't think about silent H names in English.

Thanks