Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Elijah vs. Joseph

Hey ladies! We've narrowed down our choices to Elijah and Joseph. I have questions about each.

Elijah- I love this name, it has no connection to our family except through our faith. We like the name Eli although I prefer Elijah. If we didn't go with Joseph, Elijah's name would be Elijah Joseph or Elijah Scott. Which do you prefer? Scott more directly honors the baby's grandfather.

Joseph- My only reservation about Joseph is the inevitable nickname Joe(y). Instead of Joe we were going to use Jay. Too much of a stretch? We adore Jay but think its too short as a formal given name. We can't use James, unfortunately. It would make things much easier! Joseph Scott? Yay or nay?

Thank you!!
    Last edited by peachpie; April 22nd, 2013 at 07:13 PM.

I would go with Elijah Joseph. I think that flows better than Elijah Scott. And Eli is a better nn than Joey.
    I like simple yet versatile names that work well for the athlete, the comic, the genius, and the judge.

Quote Originally Posted by paw View Post
    I would go with Elijah Joseph. I think that flows better than Elijah Scott. And Eli is a better nn than Joey.
    We would avoid the Joey nickname with Jay.

I prefer Joseph. I've known a Joseph (and a Jonathan) who went by Jay for short, so it's completely plausible. Joseph Scott is handsome.
    ♂ | Samuel ◊ Edward ◊ George ◊ Arthur ◊ Ezra ◊ Gideon ◊ James ◊ Quentin ◊ Solomon ◊ Jasper
    ♀ | Helen ◊ Cora ◊ Anne ◊ Jane ◊ Caroline ◊ Catherine ◊ Gwen ◊ Georgia ◊ Elizabeth ◊ Lydia

I like both Elijah and Joseph. My initial thought would be to go with Joseph to avoid Eli, which I've never really liked (the Biblical Elijah is great--the Biblical Eli isn't!), but then again, I like all the options with Joseph (except for, apparently, Jay!)--Joseph with no nn, Joe, Joey, Joss--I had a really good friend in high school named Joseph nn Joe, so I am quite fond of just Joe, personally, but I understand not everyone else is. So Elijah Scott gets my vote, but I really love Joseph Scott, too.

Good luck!