Names Searched Right Now:
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Isla is common enough that I don't see too many people struggling with it. Iyla reminds me of Ilya Kovalchuk who is a hockey player that used to play for the Thrashers (back when they were still in Atlanta). He pronounces it Ill-ya, and I'm not sure, but I think it's a pretty common slavic name for males. Anyway, Isla is much better!

If I were you, I'd change it. Isla is so classy and beautiful, Iyla just looks misspelled. Do what you want! It's your baby, not your parents.

Juliet, Willow, Camilla, Luna, Genevieve, Lorelai, Clarice, Emmeline, Isla, Eloise, Amelia, Mabel, Aurelia, Lumina, Lavender

Declan, Camden, Leo, Luca, Oliver, Rhys, Griffin, Milo, Yves, Rémy, Theo, Jasper, Gavin, Anders, Félix, Ollivander, Maxim

I prefer Isla!

Not that there's much dispute here, but let me add an official vote for changing the spelling. Everyone who's heard of Wedding Crashers and Borat knows who Isla Fisher is and how to pronounce, spell her lovely, classic name. I can understand how it's confusing for the older generation but as you say, you're not really changing it. If your grandparents want to continue spelling it Iyla, fine. Your daughter will fare better as Isla.
    Pam Satran
    Nameberry

I would change it to Isla for all the reasons mentioned. Just wanted to add another voice of support!