Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    I would change it, too!! I do not understand why there could possibly be any confusion on how to spell ISLA or how to pronounce it. Most people know the name. I mean it´s by far not uncommon. Really, just go for it. You´re doing the right thing (By the way, I honestly wouldn´t know how to pronounce your current spelling of the name IYLA if you didn´t tell that´s supposed to be ISLA, no offence.)

And btw: I really love the name Isla. It´s a beautiful choice
    Fav. Girls Names: Rosalie, Amalia, Isa-Lea, Marisa Zaney, Sophia Florence, Adriana Louise

Fav. Boys Names: Tristan, Theo, Quentin, Jannik, Colin, James, Bennett, Benedict

Fav. combinations: Rosalie Delia, Amalia Lucia and Jerry Benedict, Theodore James

Yes change it. The grandparents will get over it. She is your child, and you should spell her name the way that makes you and your husband happy.

No offense, but to me, Iyla would be pronounced like "Ee-yull-ah". Most people would know how to pronounce Isla, since everyone knows how to pronounce Island. I'd change it to the original spelling. I love the name Isla. It's so pretty!
    Madison, 14-year-old name nerd! My style is all over the place, my favorites change all the time.

Boys: David, Eric, Finlay, George, James, Jude, Lee, Michael, Paul, Richard, Rory.

Girls: Emmanuelle, Frederica, Jayne, Juliet, Lauren, Mary, Molly, Nora, Raffaela, Stella.

I'm with everyone else. The spelling really seems to bother you and Isla (spelled like this) is partially so stunning because of it's simplicity. I think that if you and your hubby are of one mind on this - to heck with everyone else.

Since a major concern of your parents and in-laws was the pronunciation of Isla - and I assume that this is still partly their concern - I'd point out that nobody get's confused on how to pronounce island and Isla is very similar. If people start saying "Ees-la" instead it's easy enough to say "Isla like island" - I feel like people will just say "well duh, how stupid am I?" instead of feeling it's counter intuitive. Honestly, I'm with mnj87 I find Iyla much more confusing (too many vowels).
    CONSTRUCTION ZONE!!!
    maybe Endora, Dexter, Gideon & Lorelei
    Newlywed (Not TTC...yet)

I'd say you should change her name. It might be because I'm from a foreign language country, but I would have more problems with the Iyla spelling than Isla (presuming that I didn't know how Isla was pronounced). I would pronounce Iyla "Aye-ee-lah". It'll be so much easier for her in the future if her name is spelled the traditional way.
    Zelia/Elja • Twenty • Film, history and royalty connoisseur • I have a blog and a royalty blog.
    Exporting beautiful old Danish names, exotic Greenlandic names and Greenlandic sibling names.
    Henry Ásgeirr Edmund • Amaury Charles Fyodor "Theo" • Alexander Adelin Lórien "Sasha" • Asa Elessar/Valdemar Ivik
    Cosima Ingrid Zenobia "Mimi" • Matilda Ivalo Galadriel "Tilda" • Gaia Margaret Undómiel • Juno Catherine Françoise "Shazza"