Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Sailor

I love Sailor.
    Ian Alexander Cameron Blaise Damien Cole Axel Sean Callum Bryce Lennox Beau
    Blair Annevieve Camryn Atalya Piper Caydence Tallulah Sage Senna Kai Haven Lux

Quote Originally Posted by sarahmezz View Post
    I think Sailor is great. For a boy or girl? I think it works for both.

Hehe, my husband does the same! Men...

EDIT: I looked at your combo thread and see it's for a girl. I think Christy Brinkley's daughter is named Sailor. I see you're considering Cordelia as well, which means "from the sea", which could be a way of honouring your father, too. There's a number of names with watery meanings, which you might like.
    Cordelia would only be a middle name. It's one of my husband's picks and I'm just so-so on it, but I told him we could use it as a middle. I guess Sailor Cordelia would be too watery? lol
    My cherished daughter, Rowan Jane. ~b. 10/2011~

Sawyer ~ Aven ~ Elowen ~ Sage ~ Eilonwy ~ Eleanor
    Morgan ~ Asher ~ ___ ~ ___ ~ Currently trying to fill the blanks...

Trying for #2 in January 2014.

Sailor Cordelia is a bit watery, but I think that would be more of an issue on NB where people actually know the meaning of Cordelia In the "real world" her middle name won't be used frequently, and when it is, the average person won't immediately connect the watery meanings.

I think Sailor is beautiful with Rowan (despite the "rowing sailor" connection) and I love the unique way it honors your dad!

Some more nautical name ideas:
    Maris - sea/rule
    Azure - unisex color name. A gentle lazy ocean comes to mind.
    Meredith - "sea lord"...too long? This one could work for either gender, for a first or middle. Sailor Meredith is beautifully unisex.
    Zephyr - west wind. unisex and stunning with Rowan
    Muir/Muirin - sea/moor
    Navy - nautical color and seafaring name. Would make a stunning middle, although not one I'd pair with Sailor.
    Kai - sea in Hawaiian, forgiveness in Japanese. Usually given to boys. Kairi is an option if you want the more feminine version
    Harbor - loving the imagery of a safe haven for sailors in a storm. Beautifully unisex, and similar enough to the popular Harper to make it as a word name.
    Windsor - not oceanic, but has the W sound. "the bend in the river"
    Anne - as a middle name perhaps? Anne is the patron saint of sailors
    Indigo - deep blue. Not one I'd personally pair with Sailor, but is lovely with Rowan. It is rising in popularity though.
    Merlin - sea fortress (and of course the utter awesomeness of the Arthurian wizard)
    Alwyn - Welsh reference to the river Alwen. I know you were liking Alys recently

Good luck! I confess I'm very interested to see what you end up falling for!
    Zion Nathaniel ~ Solomon Fable ~ Balthazar Wolf ~ Malachi Sparrow nn Kai ~ Tobias Rowan ~ Endymion _____ nn Ender ~ Caspian _____
    Alice Willow ~ Ophelia Wren ~ Lucia Pearl ~ Eve Wisteria nn Evie ~ Cosima Rose ~ River _____

GPs
    Narnia Rose, Luna Seraphine, Astoria nn Story, Illyria, Serafina, Soraya, Faerydae
    Orion Melchior North, Tobias Loki, Edmund, Frost, Oberon, Kenshin, Remiel, Atreyu

Based on the above list, I like the name Merida! Kind of like Meredith and may have the same meaning...not sure.

While I really like Sailor, I don't think it does with Rowan. As the pp said, I thought of "row and sail" and found it a bit cheesy.

I do like the name Rivers for a girl which is water related, but not so much an active water name like "row" or "sail" part in the other 2 aforementioned names.

Sailor's gorgeous! I'd love to meet a little Sailor girl. I always hear Fiona Apple's O'Sailor song when I see the name (the video's got some pretty spectacular "sailor" girls in it!). I think Sailor Cordelia would be super cute!
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][CENTER]My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014[/CENTER][/FONT]