Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Aquila

Hybrid View

Aquila

This is my newest name epiphany. I've seen it before but you know that feeling when you see a name and it's like you've never seen it before? Yeah, that.

I tend to like -illa names. And names beginning with vowels. But this one stands out to me. Maybe it's the "kw" sound in there. I like the Biblical connection, and don't mind that the person referred to in the New Testament was a man.

I also think the nn Quil is very sweet, especially for the daughter of two writers.

What do you think of Aquila? Is it appealing? Off-putting? Is pronunciation intuitive for you? (I would say uh-KWILL-uh). Do you like Aquila Emerald?

I'm getting that same "aha!" feeling I had with Beatrice, except maybe my husband will like this one. :-/

Thanks, all!
    Mrs. H.
    Trying for our first!
    If it's a boy: Josiah Walker "Joe"
    If it's a girl: Clementine Marvel
    Avatar: "Dark Robe" by Malcolm Liepke

I love Aquila, it was on my list for a long time. I didn't know about the Biblical connection (which was part of what put me off the name) but it's also a constellation and a name that was used a lot in Roman times. It's very beautiful.
    My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014

I like Aquila, but for a boy, not a girl. Since the Aquila in the New Testament was a man, that's the association I have, and I'd be sad to see it on a girl, sorry. I think it's more noble-sounding (particularly as it means "eagle") than beautiful. I also believe it's pronounced A-kwill-uh (short A, as in apple, or perhaps more correctly, A as in father), accent on the first syllable.
    A couple years ago I met a little boy named James Aquila, nicknamed Quil, which I thought was cute.
    Best wishes!
    "He telleth the number of the stars; He calleth them all by their names."
    Psalm 147:4

Still dreaming:
    Tobias Rory Benjamin ~ Crispin Isaiah ~ Ransom Horatio ~ Lucius Olórin ~ James Deliverance
    Una Marguerite/Oona Sylvestra ~ Jessamyn Agnes ~ Branwen Evangeline ~ Alice Emmanuelle ~ Christiana Linnet

I actually really dislike Aquila. Maybe it's the kwil sound. It reminds me of a porcupine lol. It's ok in theory, but if I met a little girl named that, I'd probably feel bad for the child. Sorry :/
    Girls:
    Brenna, Coraline, Cordelia, Elodie, Francesca, Gianna, Helena, Ingrid, Margaret, Marilyn

Boys:
    Alaric, Griffon, Ivan, Joesph, Kenneth, Lucian, Nero, Orion, Phillip, Samson

I think that I don't like the name because I speak Spanish and it reminds me of the verb "to rent" which is "alquilar". People often say "alquila" meaning "for rent" just FYI.