Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Aquila

I like Aquila, but love Aquilina. Either work with Emerald.
    "Don't try to be modern, it's the most old-fashioned thing there is," - Attilio, The Tiger and the Snow

Domenico, Gianfranco, Giacomo, Antonio, Raphael, Calogero, Leopold, Angelo, Giorgio, Alban, Malachi, Dante, Mirek, Dario, Lionel, Asa, Valerio
    Katarina, Irena, Silvia, Aniela, Delfina, Raffaella, Apollonia, Cecilia, Pasqualina, Rosina, Josephine, Allegra, Romana, Alba, Bronya, Adrasteia, Vincenza, Althea, Eurydice, Regina, Mirellina, Arianell, Sonia, Talia, Cordelia, Leona/Leonie

All I can see is 'Tequila'

I'd spell it differently so the pronunciation comes across more. Maybe Aquilla, or A'Quilla? the one L is just too close...
    Last edited by celianne; April 21st, 2013 at 01:01 PM. Reason: Can't spell Tequila...
    I'm not feeling incredibly profound at the moment. Check back later.

I like Aquila a lot: its aesthetics (especially that q!), the fact that it's relatively unknown, the sound (though I definitely say 'ah' rather than 'uh' at the beginning, as that's how my astrophysics professors pronounced it), the fact that it's a constellation. It appears feminine, but not overly feminine (it has an edge, and personality instead of just a bunch of insubstantial frill), and I'm pretty sure it's a legitimately unisex name. I should not object to it being used as a girls' name. BUT. It gives me a very masculine vibe, and I can't shake it, no matter how hard I try. I really want to like it on a girl, but I don't think I'm quite there yet. That said, if you like it on a girl, you should by no means let me dissuade you, as I find my own objection pretty baseless.

I haven't read the whole thread, so I don't know if this has already been mentioned, but there's also Aquilina, which reads more distinctly feminine to me and still captures everything I like aesthetically about Aquila. The drawback: it's no longer the name of a constellation. It is, however, a saint's name.
    on my mind, for the moment

Daria | Athena | Ramona | Winifred | Maeve | Blythe | Nadine | Dorothea | Margot | Cyra | Renata | Hypatia | Junia | Thisbe

Flynn | Otto | Winston | Claude | Leif | Roald | Tavish | Lionel | Cormac | Tobin | Oswin | Rory | Damon | Tycho

Mildred "Red" ☆ Obedience "Bede" ☆ Relief "Leafy" ☆ Dorothea "Doro" ☆ Penelope "Pen" ☆ Ruth "Rue" ☆ Eudoxia "Exie"

Quote Originally Posted by egilona View Post
    The drawback: it's no longer the name of a constellation.
    Pardon? Aquila is the eagle constellation, I'm pretty sure no one has changed it's name.
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][CENTER]My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014[/CENTER][/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by ottilie View Post
    Pardon? Aquila is the eagle constellation, I'm pretty sure no one has changed it's name.
    I was referring to Aquilina, not Aquila. Since one of the things I see as a positive about Aquila is that it's the name of a constellation, I thought that was one area where Aquilina lost out vs. Aquila.
    on my mind, for the moment

Daria | Athena | Ramona | Winifred | Maeve | Blythe | Nadine | Dorothea | Margot | Cyra | Renata | Hypatia | Junia | Thisbe

Flynn | Otto | Winston | Claude | Leif | Roald | Tavish | Lionel | Cormac | Tobin | Oswin | Rory | Damon | Tycho

Mildred "Red" ☆ Obedience "Bede" ☆ Relief "Leafy" ☆ Dorothea "Doro" ☆ Penelope "Pen" ☆ Ruth "Rue" ☆ Eudoxia "Exie"