Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Aquila

I like Aquila, but love Aquilina. Either work with Emerald.
    "Don't try to be modern, it's the most old-fashioned thing there is," - Attilio, The Tiger and the Snow

Domenico/Dominic, Gianfranco/Gianpaolo, Giacomo, Antonio, Raphael, Calogero, Leopold, Angelo, Giorgio, Alban, Malachi, Dante, Mirek, Dario, Lionel, Asa
    Katarina/Caterina, Irena, Silvia, Aniela, Delfina, Raffaella, Apollonia, Cecilia, Pasqualina, Rosalind/Rosina, Josephine, Allegra, Alba, Leokadia, Annunziata, Bronya, Adrasteia, Vincenza, Althea, Eurydice, Regina, Mirella, Arianell

All I can see is 'Tequila'

I'd spell it differently so the pronunciation comes across more. Maybe Aquilla, or A'Quilla? the one L is just too close...
    Last edited by celianne; April 21st, 2013 at 01:01 PM. Reason: Can't spell Tequila...
    I'm not feeling incredibly profound at the moment. Check back later.

I like Aquila a lot: its aesthetics (especially that q!), the fact that it's relatively unknown, the sound (though I definitely say 'ah' rather than 'uh' at the beginning, as that's how my astrophysics professors pronounced it), the fact that it's a constellation. It appears feminine, but not overly feminine (it has an edge, and personality instead of just a bunch of insubstantial frill), and I'm pretty sure it's a legitimately unisex name. I should not object to it being used as a girls' name. BUT. It gives me a very masculine vibe, and I can't shake it, no matter how hard I try. I really want to like it on a girl, but I don't think I'm quite there yet. That said, if you like it on a girl, you should by no means let me dissuade you, as I find my own objection pretty baseless.

I haven't read the whole thread, so I don't know if this has already been mentioned, but there's also Aquilina, which reads more distinctly feminine to me and still captures everything I like aesthetically about Aquila. The drawback: it's no longer the name of a constellation. It is, however, a saint's name.
    on my mind, for the moment

Daria | Athena | Ramona | Winifred | Maeve | Blythe | Nadine | Dorothea | Margot | Cyra | Renata | Hypatia | Junia | Thisbe

Flynn | Otto | Winston | Claude | Leif | Roald | Tavish | Lionel | Cormac | Tobin | Oswin | Rory | Damon | Tycho

Mildred "Red" ☆ Obedience "Bede" ☆ Relief "Leafy" ☆ Dorothea "Doro" ☆ Penelope "Pen" ☆ Ruth "Rue" ☆ Eudoxia "Exie"

Quote Originally Posted by egilona View Post
    The drawback: it's no longer the name of a constellation.
    Pardon? Aquila is the eagle constellation, I'm pretty sure no one has changed it's name.
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][CENTER]My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014[/CENTER][/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by ottilie View Post
    Pardon? Aquila is the eagle constellation, I'm pretty sure no one has changed it's name.
    I was referring to Aquilina, not Aquila. Since one of the things I see as a positive about Aquila is that it's the name of a constellation, I thought that was one area where Aquilina lost out vs. Aquila.
    on my mind, for the moment

Daria | Athena | Ramona | Winifred | Maeve | Blythe | Nadine | Dorothea | Margot | Cyra | Renata | Hypatia | Junia | Thisbe

Flynn | Otto | Winston | Claude | Leif | Roald | Tavish | Lionel | Cormac | Tobin | Oswin | Rory | Damon | Tycho

Mildred "Red" ☆ Obedience "Bede" ☆ Relief "Leafy" ☆ Dorothea "Doro" ☆ Penelope "Pen" ☆ Ruth "Rue" ☆ Eudoxia "Exie"