Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hybrid View

Names ending in EEN sound?

Hi,
    I've been noticing that names like Evangeline and Emmaline seem to be growing in popularity lately so I'm curious about a few of the names I've considered putting on my list. Here are my EENs:

Aveline
    Jessamine
    Olivine

I like them but are they too weird? Aveline is probably my favorite of those, but people have issues with pronunciation (I was thinking it would be with a short A, like in avenue, but others sometimes say it with a long A, like in Ava). Jessamine, which I was considering as a way to honor my sister, Jessica, sounds a bit like "Jess, you're mean", so probably not, right? And Olivine is a beautiful green gemstone that I ADORE. I was thinking it would also be a good Olivia or Olive alternative. What do you think? Lol, someone said it sounds like a brand of olive oil! So, please give me your thoughts on these! I'm holding out hope that they won't be as hated as they seem to be now, but please be honest with your opinions. Thanks!

I may be wrong on some of these pronunciations, but I didn't think that all of those names on your list were "een" endings...only a few. Here is how I would instinctively pronounce them (again, these pronunciations may be incorrect):

Evangeline: ee-VAN-juh-leen
    Emmaline: EM-uh-lyn
    Aveline: AHV-uh-lyn or AHV-uh-line (not "leen")
    Jessamine: JESS-uh-minn (almost like Jasmine with an extra "uh")
    Olivine: ol-uh-VEEN

I really like all of the names you have listed here, though pronunciation could get complicated. Some people will say the endings like "een," others will say the endings like "inn," and still others will say them like "ine" (to rhyme with line). But still, they are sweet names! Some others you might like:

Mazarine (mazz-uh-REEN)
    N e v e e n ("neh-VEEN" -- I spaced it out because I only know one girl named this and it is not a common name online, so I don't want her to find my posts here...she is called Nev for short, super cute )
    Nevine (my preferred spelling of the above name)

I know an Emmaline who always pronounces it em-uh-leen, so that's how I say it. I'm not 100% sure on the others though.

Other 'EEN' names:

Irene
    Colleen
    Aileen
    Eileen
    Maureen
    Alexandrine
    Christine
    Francine
    Maxine
    Josephine
    Jacqueline
    Sabine
    Pauline
    Nadine

William ♠ Thomas ♠ Peter ♠ Henry ~ Rose ♠ Alice ♠ Ivy ♠ Lowenna
    Mowesi ~ Henwyn Kernewek ~ Mebyon

Just thought of Roxine to add.

My favorites are Irene, Eileen, and Marleen. I originally liked the spelling Marlene, but then I found out that it was pronounced like Marlena...Too bad!