Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Would we be limiting ourselves?

So this is what our name list for our son looks like right now:

Viggo
    Leif
    Ambrose
    Dimitri

However, I’ve recently been worrying about future sibling names. See we would like to have more children after our son (not for another 2 or 3 years though) and I’m afraid that an Adelaide, Poppy, Edmund or Raphael will look odd next to a sibling named Viggo/Leif. I can easily see Ambrose or Dimitri working, so I have no problem with them, but it’s more likely that our son will end up with Leif or Viggo. It’s driving my nuts as Theo and I love both names so very much, but I don’t want to limit ourselves so that we have to name our next children Astrid, Rainer, etc, so they run along the same style…

We’ve considered just using them in the middle spot (especially Leif) but I can’t bring myself to do it (and Theo wouldn’t let me anyway). We may change our minds in the end and decide our son is more of an Ambrose or Dimitri, but we may not... It’s really stressing me out.

Berries what do you think/suggest?

What kind of siblings to you imagine for a boy named Leif or Viggo?

Thanks!
    Love, Claire
    ~~
    Fiancee to Robert "Theo” Theodore
    ~~
    Mama to Lucius "Loki"

I think having a sibset with similar styles is a nice bonus in many circumstances, but not always necessary. For example, our first son has a Persian and Chinese first name (Rayhan) and a Welsh middle name (Rees), and our second kid, if a boy, will quite likely have either a Welsh (Emrys), Latin (Amias) or Greek (Evander) first name together with a German (Brandt) middle name. Our choices for our second kid have a very different feel and very different background origins than our first kid, and I actually like it that way. For us, it's almost an expression or a metaphor of our love and appreciation for diversity and 'global-citizenshipness'. I do understand the desire to have a sibset that matches well, but for me it would never be a deal breaker. Plus, in your situation, even if a matching sibset is important to you, I actually think Viggo and Leif would be fine with those other names you mentioned, not exactly the same style but not drastically different either.
    Updated Name List- http://www.ebabynames.com/list/eff115- Vote away...

I can easily see Poppy and Adelaide as sisters to Leif or Viggo. Edmund to a certain extent, Raphael not so much.

Having lived in Norway for the first few years of my life, I imagine Scandinavian names as siblings for these two:
    Finn, Vetle, Jesper, Ole, Trym, Snorre, Ludvig, Sigurd, Ulrik, Sondre, Mikkel, Brage, Eskil, Eivind & Erle, Signe, Sigrid, Tomine, Tuva, Silje, Mari, Ingeborg, Iben, Tiril, Milla, Solveig, Sunniva, Hedda, Jenny.

Stretching my imagination, I came up with these:

Casper
    Cecil
    Conrad
    Edgar
    Fabian
    Felix
    Hugh/Hugo
    Idris
    Ivan
    Ivo
    Jonas
    Julian
    Lionel
    Magnus
    Nikolai
    Oliver
    Roman
    Rupert
    Tristan

Bonnie
    Cecily
    Clara
    Cora
    Daisy
    Elodie
    Iris
    Jemima
    Leona
    Lilou
    Lucy
    Nell
    Noemi
    Pia
    Rosina
    Tessa
    Viola
    Zelie
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][CENTER]My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014[/CENTER][/FONT]

As a adult hardly anyone asks what your siblings are called unless they are being introduced, very seldom are all the aibling names mentioned together past childhood. Give them names you love and that's the only similarity you need. I don't understand the stress over sib sets on this site. Happy naming, all your list is lovely.
    Thrilled to be mother to @gnes Ei1ish Madeline and Fe1icity Bridget Be@trice

If we'd had boys the list was: Godfrey, Seamus, Alexander, Michael, Felix, Peter, Ignatius & Sebastian.

I think you shouldn't really worry about future sib-set as you might change your mind. I honestly think that you should wait till the baby is born and see which names suits him the best.