Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hybrid View

Looking for girls names you would consider classicly feminine without being overused?

*I would also like to honor my mother Annabelle and use her name as a middle name, so it's important that it flows well. I know I'm picky, I just want to make sure I end up picking the perfect name The problem with me is I'm very indecisive. I'll start to like a name but obsess over it to the point where I begin to hate it and repeat the process all over again with a different name lol. Anyway, here is a list of names I currently like [and why I like them] just so you can get a general idea of what my style is..Please comment on each name/Tell me what you like or dislike about it/Rate from most favorite to least favorite..THANKS!!

Hazel-To me, this name epitomizes what I'm looking for. It's classy and feminine with a vintage-y feel to it and not very common at all, at least not where I'm from [live in South Florida]. I like the nickname Hazey too. Do you think Annabelle works well as a middle name? Does it sound too old timey?

Lila-Pronounced LY-LAH. I've always loved this name. It's very feminine and classic. My only concern with using this name is pronounciation. I don't want people calling her LEE-LA or LiLL-AH. People have told me to alter the spelling to Lyla so it would be easier for people to pronounce, but I personally think it takes away from the beauty of the name and I just hate made up spellings. I prefer the original. Also DH isn't really a fan of this name but this doesn't concern me as much because I can always twist his arm I personally think Annabelle flows beautifully with Lila. What do ya'll think?

Katarina-Pronounced KAT-AH-REE-NAH. Ok this one is DH's pick. At first I didn't care for it but it has grown on me the more and more I say it out loud. I think my main problem with the name is the harsh K sound. Anyway, he likes the middle name Skye. WDYT?? Katarina Skye..kinda has a nice ring to it doesn't it??..

Maya/Maia-Pronounced MY-UH. This is probably my favorite from my list. I think it's a classy feminine name with a bit of an exotic flair. The only concern with this name is again pronounciation. For whatever reason, a lot of people look at Maya and are compelled to pronounce it MAY-AH which is not the way I'd like it pronounced. I despise the spelling Mya. It just looks choppy and unfinished. So, we are left with Maia which is the Greek spelling. I like the way this spelling looks the best. WDYT?? Do you like the way Annabelle flows with Maia? The double A sounds kind of bothers me. Feel free to include some other mn suggestions..

Serena-I love this name for it's simplicity, beauty and uniqueness. It makes me think of mermaids I don't think Annabelle would pair well though so if I end up choosing this name, I might have to honor my mother in another way.

Sorry for the super long post. I hope ya'll take the time to read this and give me as detailed of an answer as possible. Please feel free to include your favorite girls names. I appreciate your time and comments. Thank you!!
    Last edited by missmelissa; April 19th, 2013 at 07:03 PM.

Annabel/Annabelle is one of my top favorite names. If my mom were named Annabel, I'd use it as a first in a heartbeat. I love it. That said, the first name that popped into my head when you described the kind of name you want was Alice, and I think Alice Annabel(le) sounds perfect!! But that was before I realized you wanted comments on an existing list, so here those are:

Hazel: This one is a little too vintage-y for me, feels more trendy than classic, and I do think the dual "el" sound endings makes it slightly awkward.
    Lila: I also have always loved this name. I never thought of it as a classic, but I guess you're right (which makes me like it even more). And Lila Annabelle really sounds lovely. Also, don't change the spelling. I know those other spellings are valid, but people either know how to pronounce it or they don't, and you shouldn't change the spelling of a beautiful name to suit the lowest common denominator or name-pronouncers.
    Katarina: Feels too ethnic for someone to use who has no connection to Eastern Europe/Russia. A friend of mine used it (and does have a connection) and she still gets strange comments and looks. Beautiful name, though. Not a fan of Skye though.
    Maya/Maia: Also a beautiful name. Same story on the spelling -- use the spelling you love; people will figure it out. For some reason the "a" ending bothers me a bit with Annabelle, but it didn't with Lila ... not sure why.
    Serena: Also love. Gorgeous. And I actually think Serena Annabelle flows nicely. Again, can't say why the "a" ending doesn't bother me with this one.

From your list, I like Lila the best by far, followed by Maya and Serena. But my favorite is Alice. Something about Alice Annabelle just really gets me. Must be the alliteration. Good luck!

1. Lila
    2. Maya
    3. Hazel
    4. Katarina
    5. Serena

I am partial to Lila, it is my own name and I don't think my parents could have done any better! I love it for it's simplicity and charm, it's very classicly feminine in my opinion and I hardly ever meet other Lila's.
    I have got nothing but positive feedback on my name. And almost everyone I meet says it right. Don't spell it differently it takes away from all of it beauty! I also think Lila is perfect with Annabelle.
    My mum chose it for the same reasons I've noted above and because she read a diary entry of one of my great grandfathers and the girl he was in love with during the 1st World War was a beautiful blonde nurse named Lila, they didn't end up together but mum thought it was a wonderful story!

The other names that are on your list are all lovely to, except maybe Serena. I personally don't like because there was a horrible girl named Serena at my school, but alone on it's own it's not that bad!

Other suggestions I have:
    Eliza
    Charlotte
    Louise
    Alice
    Katherine
    Mae
    Penelope- The nicknames all work for you criteria as well!
    Caroline
    Lucy

I don't really know about my suggestions, I'm not great at giving them! But I really like Eliza!
    I hope you finally decide on something, don't just settle, find the name!

Lila
    Mama to Bugsy William and Jem Richmond.

What a wonderful story behind your name Lila and thank you so much for your comments and for sharing

You have great taste, and I love Annabelle!
    I agree that names ending in a sound awkward with Annabelle, however.
    Hazel is very lovely, and I also like Maya and Lila.

Have you thought of something like Johanna Belle, Marianna Belle, Susannah Belle, or Rosanna Belle? I don't know if that's too cheesy!

I would also suggest:
    Rose
    Flora
    Cecily
    Audra/Audrey
    Honor
    June
    Jane
    Seraphina
    Olive
    Mary
    Helen