Names Searched Right Now:

Australian top 50 for 2012

http://www.essentialbaby.com.au/preg...416-2hx91.html

I've only lived here 4 years but I could predict top 10. I hear a lot of Jack, Oliver, Lachlan and Cooper, Olivia, Emily and Isabelle.
    I am surprised to see so many classics - Matthew, Luke, Michael, Sarah and Elizabeth.
    A few unexpected ones too - Braxton for boys and Audrey and Chelsea for girls.

Is it me or does every top baby name list look almost the same? Does the world seem to be getting smaller? What happened to the cultural pride in choosing names that are quintessentially Australian or Maori? Shame really.
    All the best,
    Mischa.

Quote Originally Posted by mischa View Post
    What happened to the cultural pride in choosing names that are quintessentially Australian or Maori? Shame really.
    Do you mean Aboriginal Australian? Because other than that... traditional Australian names would be British ones. What would you consider quintessentially Australian?

The top ten girls list especially is almost identical in content to ours.
    Last edited by renrose; April 19th, 2013 at 01:36 PM.
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Sorry to anyone who read TSI. First draft was terrible. Second drafting now.

Quote Originally Posted by renrose View Post
    Do you mean Aboriginal Australian? Because other than that... traditional Australian names would be British ones. What would you consider quintessentially Australian?

The top ten girls list especially is almost identical in content to ours.
    In some of my baby name books, these girls names are defined as "Australian" or Australian Aboriginal". I don't hear these names in any other country.

For example, there are lots of "K" names like...

Kumberlin
    Kareela
    Kolora
    Koleyn
    Kamballa
    Kirilee/Kirianne
    Kindilan
    Killara

Others

Lakkari
    Lalirra
    Leewan
    Taleebin
    Rewuri
    Oldina
    Narelle
    Nandalia
    Lutana
    Lorikeet
    Jannali
    Gurley
    All the best,
    Mischa.

I'm Australian and I think it would be /weird/ if you weren't Aboriginal but gave your kid a strongly Aboriginal name. And even if you were, I'd probably think it was a better idea not to just because of all the discrimination. There are certainly names that could serve as a nod to Australian heritage - Matilda, Kylie etc - but I mean... for the majority of Australians, the dominant cultural influence is British, so...? I mean, if you're picking a name from your family tree or whatever, that's probably going to be the exact same set of names as Joe Q British picking names from his family tree. (And as for the world 'getting smaller' - Australia has had very similar naming trends to Britain for at least a century, so it's not exactly a new thing.) These days Australia's pretty multicultural, so it doesn't make sense to me to think that it should have its own set of names. Instead, it draws from its cultural influences, just like everywhere else (for e.g, your profile says you're in Canada, which draws its lovely baby naming taste from both Britain and France)