Names Searched Right Now:

Threaded View

Unhappy Dilemma: Alternatives to "Family" Names?

My SO and I were recently discussing honoring family members through names. I like the idea of honoring ancestors and carrying on a tradition, but (no offense intended) the names are absolutely horrible on both sides! I posted a list so you can see how truly terrible it all is! It doesn't help that he has traditions on both sides (Mary + Edward) which are names I particularly dislike. I don't really like the whole idea of traditional and popular names. My family has a "Lynn" tradition (Mavalyn, Terry Lynn, my name is Lyndsey) which is easily tacked onto any name or middle name (Chaselyn + Gracelyn if twins?). So we have considered variants (like 'Marie' for 'Mary') or placing them into middle names (can't for the life of me think of one using 'Mary') or even both ('Ava/Layken Marie'). I don't want to be rude or upset anyone, but I really want a good baby name that we both love and I think they should be honored that we're even considering naming our children after them. Any suggestions or thoughts?