Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: WDYT of Sawyer?

WDYT of Sawyer?

I've found a fondness for the name Sawyer and I've added it to my list. What do you think of the name? Apparently the gay couple on the TV show The New Normal have used the name for their son, Sawyer Collins. Do you think that will effect the names usage or popularity? I've also read a bit about folks using it for a girl's name and that concept being on the rise. I've never considered it a girl's name. But, our son's middle is planned to be Everett and I don't want a double uni-sex name (I know of a little girl with the name Finley Everett).

PS - How do YOU pronounce it? SAW-yer or SOY-yer?
    Last edited by constantstar; April 18th, 2013 at 10:48 PM.

I don't think so; not all names used on TV become megahits. I honestly like it better on a girl; I can't help but see that young 5 year old girl with her hair in a messy ponytail and a splash of freckles on her face in her father's boat, looking out of a toy telescope. No image for a boy comes up, just the character of Tom Sawyer.

I pronounce it as SOY-yer.
    ~inside this teenberry's mind ~
    ~
    Vote on combo possibilities (updated 4/5/14)
    ~
    Slowly reconstructing
    ~
    ♀ ~ Adair ~ Cassia ~ Cecilia ~ Cordelia ~ Ivy ~ Kestrel ~ Lyra ~ Mary ~ Petra ~ Shira ~

♂ ~ Benjamin ~ Caspian ~ Finnian ~ Jack ~ Julian ~ Levi ~ Nathaniel ~ Ronan ~ Tristan ~

☺ ~ Cassia Jane ~ Cordelia Alice ~ Ivy Seraphina ~ Lyra Genevieve ~ Mary Valentina ~ Shira Beatrix ~
    ~ Jack Peregrine ~ Julian Hawthorne ~ Ronan Wilder ~

Considering: ~ Finnegan ~ Lux ~

I never really thought of it before, but I guess I say SOY-yer? I cant imagine the New Normal would have that big of an impact...not nearly as big as LOST did some years ago. But I love love love it, and think it is adorable for a little boy.
    Some current considerations:

Sylvie Coraline | Etta Rosalie | Hazel Miranda | Margot Eliza | Vivienne Esme | Cora Madeleine
    Archer Daniel | Emmett Sebastian | Ezra Donovan | Theo Anderson | Lucian Matteo | Milo Vincent

Love Sawyer! I pronounce it SOY-yer. I agree with both tay2thestars and emsky about the name's popularity outlook.

I love it. I agree with the pp's--every name used on TV doesn't become a megahit. And if LOST didn't make Sawyer crazy popular, I don't really think it's really going to. I say it more like SOY-yer. I've actually been thinking about it quite a bit lately, I adore it.

I wouldn't worry about it for girls. It ranks MUCH lower for girls than it does for boys, and it's one of those names that seems like it's puttering out for girls (not a popular girls' choice by any means--and it doesn't show signs of taking the naming world by storm like Avery did). Plus, Everett doesn't rank for girls, period. I think Sawyer Everett would be such a handsome combo. Although I'm probably biased--I seriously considered Everett Sawyer for my Everett combo.

Good luck!