Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Clementine

Clementine

I love Clementine. My Grandpa's name was Clement. I really like the idea of Emmy as a nickname for Clementine. BUT, and this is a big one for me, I really, really, really would freak my freak if anyone called her "Clem" or "Clemmy". It just sounds unattractive and additionally reminds me of "clam" which grosses me out for lots of reasons. So, should I just steer clear of it because I hate one of the obvious nicknames? It also misses one other thing I was hoping for, which is a two syllable first name and a one syllable middle name like my daughters Ruby June & Lucy Pearl. But, if I went with Clementine Mae and called her Emmy Mae, then it would fit. But, I like the whole name Clementine too and would probably want to use both.

Clementine is lovely! I know a clementine that goes by Cleo...

She wont have to go by those nicknames if she/you dont want her to. Get her used to hearing Emmy as the nickname early on and it should carry through.

People definitely try to this day to attach Steph as my nn. I have no problem correcting them in saying that I prefer to go by my whole name. So i'm sure if someone were to say "hey, Clem" she can always let them politely know that she prefers to go by Emmy.
    I wouldnt let the possibility of a less than desirable nn deter you from a name you really love.
    Mama to ~Rowan Josephine 1/12~
    and ~Teagan Dahlia~ 5/13~

I love Clementine! The nickname Cleo, ella17 mentioned is super clever and cute!

xx

Quote Originally Posted by stephanie413 View Post
    She wont have to go by those nicknames if she/you dont want her to. Get her used to hearing Emmy as the nickname early on and it should carry through.

People definitely try to this day to attach Steph as my nn. I have no problem correcting them in saying that I prefer to go by my whole name. So i'm sure if someone were to say "hey, Clem" she can always let them politely know that she prefers to go by Emmy.
    I wouldnt let the possibility of a less than desirable nn deter you from a name you really love.
    Yep, this is great advice! If you're firm with what you want her to be called, people will follow suit. I don't think "Clem" or "Clemmy" is really that intuitive. Sure, it's right there as the first syllable, but it's not really name-y for a girl so I'm not sure people would go for "Clem" over "Clementine".
    If it helps, my cousin has an Anastasia and nobody's ever shortened her name even though it'd be so easy.

The family connection with Clement really makes me give Clementine two thumbs up
    Lucia
    Ariadne, Eleanora, Minerva, Orchid, Sela
    Caius, Everett, Luther, Marius, Mordecai