Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Do you disagree with any of Nameberry's "Names No Girl May Be Cool Enough For"?

http://nameberry.com/list/249/Names-...ool-Enough-For

I don't know if this link works haha so I'll just type them out;

Bertha
    Beulah
    Brunhilda
    Doris
    Edna
    Elberta
    Ernestine
    Ethel
    Eunice
    Fulvia
    Gay
    Gertrude
    Griselda
    Helga
    Hildegarde
    Hortense
    Irma
    Joyce
    Mehitabel
    Myrna
    Phyllis
    Shirley
    Vigdis
    Yetta

Do you think any of these would actually work for a baby? I could see Shirley, Myrna, Mehitabel, Joyce, Irma (I actually know a few Irmas, granted they're Bosnian so maybe it's cooler over there), Griselda, Ethel, and Doris making a comeback.
    Audrey Cecilia - Jude Alexander - Christian Nathaniel - Violet Annabelle - Felicity Charlotte - and introducing Isaac Benjamin

My babies!

Although I don't personally like Ethel, I know she's been making a comeback in some circles like Nameberry, especially since Lily Allen used it, so I don't think it belongs here.

I also disagree with Myrna, which I actually think is quite pretty, and Joyce, which I think makes a nice "connector" middle name, even though she may not be ready for primetime again as a first name yet.

I could also potentially see Doris, Eunice and Shirley coming back in the future. The others, I basically agree with (although I have a soft spot for Ortensia, the Latinate form of Hortense, which I think removes a lot of the negative qualities about that name).

I know a very lively teenage Doris, so I completely disagree with that one. I could see Edna, Ethel, Joyce, and Shirley coming back in another generation or so. Mehitabel is iffy; I want to say yes because of all the -bel/-belle names that are popular right now, but it is awfully clunky.
    ♂ | Samuel ◊ Edward ◊ George ◊ Arthur ◊ Ezra ◊ Gideon ◊ James ◊ Quentin ◊ Solomon ◊ Jasper
    ♀ | Helen ◊ Cora ◊ Anne ◊ Jane ◊ Caroline ◊ Catherine ◊ Gwen ◊ Georgia ◊ Elizabeth ◊ Lydia

Ernestine, Joyce, Myrna, and Shirley could make a comeback in my mind. Maybe I just think Shirley could since I have a friend by that name and she's beautiful and vivacious.... she is indeed "cool enough" to carry the name. :-)
    Miriam ~ Helena ~ Estella ~ Beatrice ~ Anastasia ~ Alice ~ Marilla ~ Sarah
    Paul ~ Wesley ~ Walter ~ Edmund ~ Isaac ~ Abram ~ Gabriel

Trying for baby#1
    Avatar: Nathan Altman, Portrait of Anna Akhmatova

I don't like any of the names. They remind me of names my dad used to call the car when it was not running so well...'Come on Doris...Bertha behave'!