Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Be honest...what would you think of me if I named my kids this?

So I have like two running lists...one is my dream list, which contains names I love for the sound, feel, and quirkiness but worry other people would hate. The other is my safe list, of normal names that I sort of like enough to name a kid that.

So for girls

Dream Girl List:
    Oswin Rose
    Artemis (no middle name here yet, open to suggestions)
    Hero

Safe Girl List:
    Eliza
    Posy
    Bliss

Dream Boy List:
    Milo
    Jess (I love Jess on a boy. Like absolutely adore it. But everyone says he'd get beaten up, so I'd be willing to use Jesse if I had to)
    Kit (i truly loathe the name Christopher...Kristopher is slightly more palatable, and I'd use it just so I could have the nn Kit, but is Kit as a first name okay?)

Safe Boy List:
    Thomas
    Samuel
    Wesley

Be honest. If you met a little girl named Oswin or Artemis or a boy named Jess, what would you think of them? What would you think of the parent who named them?

If I met a little girl named Oswin I would wonder if her parents were fans of Doctor Who because I had never heard of the name before Doctor Who. And seeing your username I assume you are a fan?

I think Oswin is absolutely adorable and unique. But, I wonder how many Oswins are going to be born in the next few years because of the show. Oswin Rose is really pretty. I happen to be a fan of Rose. I know some people think it's a boring filler name, but I love it.

Artemis is okay. It sounds very masculine to me so I would never use it on a girl even though I know Artemis was female. Not really a fan of Hero, but it could be a coolish middle name maybe? Not really a fan of Eliza, Bliss or Posy. Bliss sounds very southern. Not a bad thing, not a good thing, just an observation.

I love Milo! I don't know why it's on your dream list though. It's not very unusual or wacky. I think if you like Jesse definitely go with that over Jess. That way your son could always decide if he wants to go by Jess or Jesse. I adore Kit! Makes me think of Kit Harington who is yummy. Thomas is nice, Samuel is eh (although I love just Sam), and Wesley isn't my style, but isn't bad.

To sum up I LOVE Oswin for a girl. And Milo is adorable. Oswin and Milo would be such a cute sib set.
    “A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.”
    -George R.R. Martin

alyssa ϟ twenty-one ϟ usa ϟ name lover

If I ever have a baby, I would name him or her:
    Charlotte Matilda |Augustus Henry

Anastasia Louise, Clara Penelope, Amelia Caitlin / Aiden James, Jase Alexander, Renly Isaac
    +more

Quote Originally Posted by alyssa897 View Post
    If I met a little girl named Oswin I would wonder if her parents were fans of Doctor Who because I had never heard of the name before Doctor Who. And seeing your username I assume you are a fan?
    Oswin Rose: ^This. Especially with Rose. Seems a little too fangirl-ish. I love the name Rose, however. More so as a first name than a middle, but I like it in either place. Oswin, not so much. And definitely not with the name of another companion. That's like naming your baby Renesmee Isabella.

Artemis: Love Artemis. I have it on my own list as a middle name. Artemis Rose is rather lovely, imo. If I met an Artemis, I'd be all sorts of excited.

Hero: not really a fan of this as a name. It feels a little forced to me. I don't think the average person would understand it as a name at all. A few might remember it from Shakespeare, but that's about it. Average person would think it's weird.

Eliza: I like it. I've known a few Eliza's. I'm not sure I'd form any sort of opinion about you or Eliza just from the name. It's completely safe, though not common necessarily.

Posy: Too sweet. I don't like it. I'd assume the parents wanted a cute, super frilly little girl. There's nothing wrong with that, but what happens if Posy is 6 feet tall and rides a Harley? In fact, I can't imagine this on an adult. I'd feel a little silly introducing my mother to people and saying, "This is my mom, Posy."

Bliss: This doesn't really feel any safer than your dream list. I like it better than Oswin, Hero and Posy, but it still feels a little forced. I'd assume the parents either are, or would like to seem, free spirited.

Milo: love, love, love it. I would grin like a loon if I met a Milo. Oh sure, you'll get a few people who ask where Otis is, but I personally wouldn't care.

Jess: I like this on a boy. I grew up with a Jesse and he was called Jess sometimes. I wouldn't form any opinion and I can't imagine many would, as long as his name was Jesse nn Jess.

Kit: I too like Kit, for both a boy or a girl. It does work as a full name, though I always prefer a more formal name on paper. My SO brother is named Kip, no long form, and it seems to have served him just fine. He's well like, got a good job, etc.

Thomas, Samuel: Like them both, quite a lot, definitely safe though. No opinions formed whatsoever. I like almost all of the classic boy names, really. Again, I wouldn't form an opinion.

Wesley: I like it. Not as common as Samuel or Thomas, but a name nobody would blink an eye at. I'm sure everyone would said they liked it.
    Considering...
    Cordelia Eilonwy Snow ● Evadne Undomiel Snow ● Isabeau Jane Sophronia ● Lorelei Nimue Ondine
    Pandora Vivienne Swan ● Thisbe Octavia Wildrose ● Thora Ilythia Swan

●●● ●●● ●●●
    Caspian Ithuriel Wilder ● Damian Rainer Sparrow ● Evander Ithuriel Sol
    Gwydion Alaric Hart ● Malachi Tristan Bjorn ● Phineas Robin Blaise ● Theodore Peregrine Llyr

our furbabies: Sebastian & Oleander

Quote Originally Posted by redwoodfey View Post
    Oswin Rose: ^This. Especially with Rose. Seems a little too fangirl-ish. I love the name Rose, however. More so as a first name than a middle, but I like it in either place. Oswin, not so much. And definitely not with the name of another companion. That's like naming your baby Renesmee Isabella.
    I don't know why but I didn't even realize Rose was also a companion name. Obviously I know Rose is a companion, but it totally slipped my mind.

Realizing that, I would avoid Rose as a middle name for Oswin unless you have another reason for using it. i.e., it's after a friend or family member, has some significant meaning to you and your SO
    “A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.”
    -George R.R. Martin

alyssa ϟ twenty-one ϟ usa ϟ name lover

If I ever have a baby, I would name him or her:
    Charlotte Matilda |Augustus Henry

Anastasia Louise, Clara Penelope, Amelia Caitlin / Aiden James, Jase Alexander, Renly Isaac
    +more

I had a similar conundrum, and decided to put my dream name in the middle spot and go with my favorite classic first name (I picked Henry Atlas).

Interestingly, as I got to know my baby boy, I found the dream name suited him better, and now we mostly call him Atlas. I am still glad I went with the combo I did, since he has a more classic, common formal first name, should he prefer it later on.

I also particularly like Artemis for a girl, and I think Hero is intriguing. I like Milo, Jess and Kit from your dream boys names (those seem very normal to me). I also like your safe names too!

Bottom line, I would not think anything bad of you if you named your baby one of your dream names. I have met a LOT of babies with unique or interesting names!
    Proud mama of Henry Atlas, born in July 2012
    Expecting a little lady this summer!

Currently loving...
    Girls: Lila Poet, Catherine Indiana, Gemma Scout, Juliet Liberty, Ramona Holiday, Louisa Merit, Lucy Hero, Phoebe Sunday, Margot Phoebe
    For boys: Julian Sayer, Jasper Locke, Pierre Otis, Pascal Odin, Peter Crusoe, Thomas Wilder, Robin Ulysses