Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Nonna

Quote Originally Posted by teacherma View Post
    Maybe use Anona, Winona, or Nanon and Nonna as a nickname?
    That is a very good idea. The pronunciation is a slight issue then. I'm not pronouncing Nonna as Nona but to rhyme with Donna. I probably should have been more clear on that. Or mentioned it in the first place. Oops!

But I don't think in honoring a name has to be perfect--it's the intention that counts.

Thank you!
    new username @finch

All I think of is grandmother, and I'm not even Italian. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by thejollyfinch View Post
    That is a very good idea. The pronunciation is a slight issue then. I'm not pronouncing Nonna as Nona but to rhyme with Donna. I probably should have been more clear on that. Or mentioned it in the first place. Oops!
    You know, I should have guess that from Donna to Nonna. I guess Nanon still works, and possibly Manon and Ninon, to get the Nonna nickname.

(There's also Donnan for a boy in case you have a son and want to honor your mother in the future).
    "Don't try to be modern, it's the most old-fashioned thing there is," - Attilio, The Tiger and the Snow

Domenico, Gianfranco, Giacomo, Antonio, Raphael, Calogero, Leopold, Angelo, Giorgio, Alban, Malachi, Dante, Mirek, Dario, Lionel, Asa, Valerio
    Katarina, Irena, Silvia, Aniela, Delfina, Raffaella, Apollonia, Cecilia, Pasqualina, Rosina, Josephine, Allegra, Romana, Alba, Bronya, Adrasteia, Vincenza, Althea, Eurydice, Regina, Mirellina, Arianell, Sonia, Talia, Cordelia, Leona/Leonie

I personally like Nonna (and Nona). I think it could work as a middle name with the right first. From the list in your signature, I feel like the best first name would be either Delphia or Eulalie. I also like the suggestion of Nanon.

I would like to say its okay since you are pronouncing it like Donna with an N...but I'm Italian and grew up calling my maternal grandmother Nona. I just can't get past it. If i could look past that, i still wouldnt like it. It just doesnt have a very appealing sound to me. For a middle name sure, a nickname would be pushing it but a first name? No. I just can't see it working. But that is my opinion..
    Love, Claire
    ~~
    Fiancee to Robert "Theo” Theodore
    ~~
    Mama to Lucius "Loki"