Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

sister names

Last edited by novmama10; May 22nd, 2013 at 11:10 PM.

I really, really love Greta Jane! I don't know that most people associate the name August with being overtly German so the connection might be more in your head than elsewhere. Greta does have that feel to it, obviously, but I personally don't think you'd be setting yourself up for trouble with a third.

I also love the other names you've been toying with: Hazel, Margot, Eliza, Violet. But it sounds like you're not totally satisfied, so here are some ideas based on some of what you mentioned liking - haven't seen your sibling board post, so sorry for any repeats:

Grace
    Greer
    Georgia
    Garnet
    Harriet
    Juliet
    Bridget
    Celeste
    Bernadette
    Charlotte
    Claire
    Imogen
    Ingrid
    Courtney (larking.)
    blog and Etsy shop

baby girl #2 due August 2013

Beatrix * Benjamin * Blythe * Bronwyn * Caleb * Eamon * Elliott * Emmett * Hazel * Imogen * Isaac
    Linnea * Lorelei * Maeve * Maren * Owen * Phoebe * Reuben * Saul * Silas * Siobhan * Sylvie * Willa

Personally, I think of August as more Latin/old Roman than German/Scandinavian. However, I think most people would associate it with the month more than anything else so I don't think you're locked into any pattern. Greta Jane is gorgeous and I love August and Greta together. Greta is not only chosen by parents of Northern European background these days. If you still love Greta Jane, I would encourage you to go for it! I love Margot too!

Other Suggestions

Helen/Helena/Lena (leh-nuh)
    Stella
    Mabel
    Cora
    Petra
    Eva (ay-vah)
    Sybil
    Grace
    Clara/Claire
    Rachel
    Keira/Ciara
    Gemma
    Giselle
    Chloe
    Caia/Kaia
    Mira
    Oona
    Laura
    Anna/Hannah
    Flora
    Ruth
    Jane
    Faye
    Lila (lie-luh)
    Leila (lay-luh)
    Rose
    Nora
    Freya
    Elsa
    All the best,
    Mischa.

I think Greta Jane would work fine if you love it. Here are some other suggestions:

Laurel
    Helen
    Isla
    Lucia

My daughter Margot has a good friend named Greta, which is short for Margareta. We aren't remotely hipsters and her parents aren't German/Scandinavian in origin. Margot and Greta get a kick out of knowing they bear variants of the same name.

I love Greta Jane (or Margareta Jane). I do think both Greta and Margot go very well with August (I like the shared hard-G sound, which pairs nicely with a German last name, but they don't sound twins-y to me.)