Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Nonna

Quote Originally Posted by teacherma View Post
    Maybe use Anona, Winona, or Nanon and Nonna as a nickname?
    That is a very good idea. The pronunciation is a slight issue then. I'm not pronouncing Nonna as Nona but to rhyme with Donna. I probably should have been more clear on that. Or mentioned it in the first place. Oops!

But I don't think in honoring a name has to be perfect--it's the intention that counts.

Thank you!
    new username @finch

All I think of is grandmother, and I'm not even Italian. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by thejollyfinch View Post
    That is a very good idea. The pronunciation is a slight issue then. I'm not pronouncing Nonna as Nona but to rhyme with Donna. I probably should have been more clear on that. Or mentioned it in the first place. Oops!
    You know, I should have guess that from Donna to Nonna. I guess Nanon still works, and possibly Manon and Ninon, to get the Nonna nickname.

(There's also Donnan for a boy in case you have a son and want to honor your mother in the future).
    "Don't try to be modern, it's the most old-fashioned thing there is," - Attilio, The Tiger and the Snow

Domenico/Dominic, Gianfranco/Gianpaolo, Giacomo, Antonio, Raphael, Calogero, Leopold, Angelo, Giorgio, Alban, Malachi, Dante, Mirek, Dario, Lionel, Asa
    Katarina/Caterina, Irena, Silvia, Aniela, Delfina, Raffaella, Apollonia, Cecilia, Pasqualina, Rosina, Josephine, Allegra, Alba, Leokadia, Bronya, Adrasteia, Vincenza, Althea, Eurydice, Regina, Mirella, Arianell, Sonia, Talia, Leonie

I personally like Nonna (and Nona). I think it could work as a middle name with the right first. From the list in your signature, I feel like the best first name would be either Delphia or Eulalie. I also like the suggestion of Nanon.

I would like to say its okay since you are pronouncing it like Donna with an N...but I'm Italian and grew up calling my maternal grandmother Nona. I just can't get past it. If i could look past that, i still wouldnt like it. It just doesnt have a very appealing sound to me. For a middle name sure, a nickname would be pushing it but a first name? No. I just can't see it working. But that is my opinion..
    Love, Claire
    ~~
    Fiancee to Robert "Theo” Theodore
    ~~
    Mama to Lucius "Loki"