Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    We all draw inspiration from somewhere- art, literature, history, the Bible, our faith... Why not TV/film? Agreed, twilight might not be everyone's cup of tea, but maybe hearing it in the movie made you like Cullen... Is that so horrible? Part of my love of Zoe is because of the actress and our similar upbringings. The reality is TV and movies are everywhere. I don't see anything wrong with it. If you name your child Phoebe will some people say "oh, like in Friends?" Yes. And then most people will move on.

I say yay!
    Little Bean arriving September 2014

Zoe | Noemí Esther
    Lucas Emmanuel | Levi Alexander

Adele | Adira | Arabella | Aurora | Eliana | Elizabeth | Milena | Susannah | Zara

Okay, so some clarification/info:

My daughter's name is Lorelei. We picked it because we like it - and it had nothing at all to do with Lorelai Gilmore from the show "Gilmore Girls." However, since her birth, we get asked if we named her "after the TV show" on a pretty regular basis. (With a slightly older crowd, they ask if she's named after the Styx song. The answer is still no.) Lorelei is a somewhat unusual name, so I'm guessing part of the motivation for asking is that these people don't have any other connection to the name other than the TV show.

I don't think "Gilmore Girls" will have a lot of cultural significance in another decade or two, so I'm not too worried, but it gives me pause about some of our name ideas for our next child. I think it's fine if the parents INTEND to name their child after a character, or if the character inspired the name - but that's not really my question here. I'm more interested in opinions about whether or not naming a child something that happens to also be the name of a TV/film character is a bad idea because of the immediate associations or if that sort of thing doesn't really cross other people's minds that often anyway.
    Courtney (larking.)
    blog and Etsy shop

baby girl #2 due August 2013

Beatrix * Benjamin * Blythe * Bronwyn * Caleb * Eamon * Elliott * Emmett * Hazel * Imogen * Isaac
    Linnea * Lorelei * Maeve * Maren * Owen * Phoebe * Reuben * Saul * Silas * Siobhan * Sylvie * Willa

I don't know it depends I guess.
    I love Lorelei - it's on my top ten list but I just don't know if I can get past the GG association. Esp since I'd need a non-Lori nn alternative and Rory just comes to mind too easily. I'd also consider Vaughn in honor of a friend of my SO who died when we were in college but I keep thinking about Vaughn from Alias.

I don't think it's a good or bad decision if the character is amiable. If it's the super-villian in a cult series, and isn't frequently used otherwise, it might be ill-advised.
    Aurelia - Endora - Illyria - Lorelei - Merida - Ofelia - Penrose - Tabitha - Viola - Zenobia
    Alaric - Anton - Cedric - Dexter - Erich - Felix - Hector - Hendrik - Leonidas - Victor
    Engaged to the best Man in the World. (God-mama to Lawrence, a little bundle of sunshine).

Quote Originally Posted by courtneylarking View Post
    Okay, so some clarification/info:

My daughter's name is Lorelei. We picked it because we like it - and it had nothing at all to do with Lorelai Gilmore from the show "Gilmore Girls." However, since her birth, we get asked if we named her "after the TV show" on a pretty regular basis. (With a slightly older crowd, they ask if she's named after the Styx song. The answer is still no.) Lorelei is a somewhat unusual name, so I'm guessing part of the motivation for asking is that these people don't have any other connection to the name other than the TV show.

I don't think "Gilmore Girls" will have a lot of cultural significance in another decade or two, so I'm not too worried, but it gives me pause about some of our name ideas for our next child. I think it's fine if the parents INTEND to name their child after a character, or if the character inspired the name - but that's not really my question here. I'm more interested in opinions about whether or not naming a child something that happens to also be the name of a TV/film character is a bad idea because of the immediate associations or if that sort of thing doesn't really cross other people's minds that often anyway.
    I'm not ashamed to admit that I'm a tv lover. I watch a lot of tv and I'm very immersed in the fandom aspect of television and I absolutely love taking inspiration from favorite characters and actors.

To answer your question, I don't think it's necessarily a bad idea. I think every situation is different. If you love the name Edward in this day and age you're going to get people who wonder if it's because of Twilight because that movie was really popular, whether that's where you got the name or not. There's just no avoiding it. It crosses my mind all the time when I recognize names from television, movies or books because, like I said, I'm a tv lover. Like jaimetanae above who mentioned Elena. As soon as I heard the name I thought of The Vampire Diaries. It's not a bad thing for me because I enjoy that. So for me, you could chose the name Phoebe and I'll think of Friends and also Charmed. But, it's a good connection for me because I like that as I said. Also, both Phoebes are great characters. You could chose the name Jessica and I'll think of actress Jessica Chastain and how much I admire her and I'll also think of my boyfriend's ex girlfriend who isn't a very nice person. People have so many different connections to so many different names. Maybe you'll introduce Phoebe to a group of people and someone may make the Friends connection, or the Charmed connection, or think of a childhood friend, or their sister, or their high school bully. You never know. And if you truly love a name I don't think you should let any tv association get in the way of you using it. Hope that makes some sort of sense!

Are you saddling your child with a certain "reputation" based on that character's personality?
    - I don't think so and if someone thinks that way they need some help. Not all Monicas are neurotic chefs, not all Edwards are emo vampires, etc. But if it really bothers you then I guess your best bet is to find a different name.
    “A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.”
    -George R.R. Martin

alyssa ϟ twenty-one ϟ usa ϟ name lover

If I ever have a baby, I would name him or her:
    Charlotte Matilda |Augustus Henry

Anastasia Louise, Clara Penelope, Amelia Caitlin / Aiden James, Jase Alexander, Renly Isaac
    +more

Quote Originally Posted by lexiem View Post
    I don't know it depends I guess.
    I love Lorelei - it's on my top ten list but I just don't know if I can get past the GG association. Esp since I'd need a non-Lori nn alternative and Rory just comes to mind too easily. I'd also consider Vaughn in honor of a friend of my SO who died when we were in college but I keep thinking about Vaughn from Alias.

I don't think it's a good or bad decision if the character is amiable. If it's the super-villian in a cult series, and isn't frequently used otherwise, it might be ill-advised.
    Good point! Like the name Loki for example. I'm sure everyone would think of the villian in Thor/The Avengers.

But personally I want to get a cat named Loki because I'm a super hero nerd.
    “A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.”
    -George R.R. Martin

alyssa ϟ twenty-one ϟ usa ϟ name lover

If I ever have a baby, I would name him or her:
    Charlotte Matilda |Augustus Henry

Anastasia Louise, Clara Penelope, Amelia Caitlin / Aiden James, Jase Alexander, Renly Isaac
    +more