Names Searched Right Now:

Evolutionary basis for baby naming?

I found this interesting article in my local newspaper suggesting we choose baby names based on vowel sounds...

http://www.theage.com.au/technology/...610-2nzlq.html
    TTC #1

Audrey - Beatrice - Clara - Daphne - Jane - Margaret - Susannah - Violet

Arthur - Barnaby - Edward - Frederick - Henry - Rupert - Theodore - Walter

Wow that's really interesting. I never thought of that before but it definitely makes sense..
    I'm curious, has it changed your name preferance or confirmed it?

Interesting, but I'm not quite sure about this study- I'd have to read the paper (if they even wrote a peer-reviewed paper.) They only studied names from English-speaking, industrialized countries and only for 9 years, but then made the claim that naming trends were biologically based. That makes no sense to me- if something is rooted in human biology rather than culture, it should be true for Americans, Brits, Australians, South Koreans, Ancient Greeks, Iroquois, Dobe Ju/'hoansi, and every other ethnic group that has ever existed. It's an interesting idea, but there doesn't seem to be enough evidence to support the claim.

All this seems to suggest is an English-speakers view on masculine and feminine sounds based on cultural preference not biology. I don't see how they can make any sort of claim, "how biological evolution can influence culture," at least in this article since there is no evolutionary basis given. And to even make any sort of evolutionary claim they must study names from a variety of cultures, like daisy451 said. It's an interesting pattern that they have come up with but I think they maybe getting ahead of themselves making such over-arching claims.
    DD: Maria Julietta Grace - Dec 2013

Mona Maeve/Maeva Cordelia nn Dolly Magdalena Adelaide Geneva Fiona Flora Ramona Rose Katerina Juliet Aoife Odessa Sylvie Vera Guinevere Vivienne Marina Claire Eva/Ava Augusta Agatha Evelina Lavinia Alouetta

Jack Sawyer Owen Seamus Timothy Vaughn Frank Murphy Spencer Guy Conrad Graham Simon Trevor Theodore Maximus Pierce Mark Hank Rex Colm Leif Eamon Grady Grant Forrest North

Quote Originally Posted by daisy451 View Post
    Interesting, but I'm not quite sure about this study- I'd have to read the paper (if they even wrote a peer-reviewed paper.) They only studied names from English-speaking, industrialized countries and only for 9 years, but then made the claim that naming trends were biologically based. That makes no sense to me- if something is rooted in human biology rather than culture, it should be true for Americans, Brits, Australians, South Koreans, Ancient Greeks, Iroquois, Dobe Ju/'hoansi, and every other ethnic group that has ever existed. It's an interesting idea, but there doesn't seem to be enough evidence to support the claim.
    http://www.plosone.org/article/info%...l.pone.0064825