Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Too close to my name?

I love the nn Millie and the full name Millicent has grown on me. However, my name is Melissa. I already have 2 daughters so I think it might be odd to give a third (hypothetical) daughter a name so close to mine. What do you think?

Also, how else could I get to Millie? Thanks!

I do find Millicent a little overly close to Melissa, especially knowing the connection between Millicent and Melisande, which is even more similar.

Other ways to get to Millie (which is lovely, by the way):

Camilla
    Carmella (maybe a tiny bit of a stretch; Mellie's more intuitive, but I think it could work)
    Emily
    Ludmila

Good luck!

I know a Millie who's full name is Amelia. I didn't know her full name for a long time because everyone just called her Millie. I think Millie is adorable.

You've received some great suggestions already, but I wanted to add Milena. There's Mildred, but that might be too "old" for many tastes. I love the suggestion of Camilla/Camille. Did someone say Camelia?

I think the Mel/Mil beginnings more similar than anything, really. I wouldn't find Amelia nn Millie any less matchy than Millicent nn Millie. It's still Melissa and Millie. I have to say, though, I do prefer Amelia/Emilia nn Millie. I'm not ready for Millicent's revival yet.

My best friend was an Amelie nn Millie, I think that's lovely. A few other options:

Matilda "Millie"
    Romilly "Millie"
    Emmeline "Millie"

I like the suggestions of Camellia and Milena, too. With your girls, I like something along the lines of Amelia with Laurel, but I think something like Matilda fits better with Vita, but I think something like Romilly might blend the styles of Vita's and Laurel's names best. I think it just depends on what you're going for. Romilly, Camellia, Milena, and Emmeline are the ones unlisted on the SSA list, though, if that still matters to you (which I assume it does!).

I think Millie's adorable, btw.

Good luck!
    Ashley
    twenty-something namenerd and aspiring novelist

Isabelle Aurora Grace | Caleb Elias Joseph | Arianne Eleanor Daisy | Everett Joshua Charles
    Olivia Wren Camille | Jack August Wilder | Violet Ophelia Claire | Avery Ian George