Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

His names are bland, help!

We're expecting a baby in August, who will be brother or sister for our three-year-old, Dominic Joseph (who also gets called DomDom, DJ or Nico) We're not finding out the gender and we're having problems agreeing on a name. It took us several months to come up with our son's name last time, and not finding out means we have to come up with two, one for each gender.

My girl list:
    Maria
    Rebecca
    Francesca
    Charlotte
    Olivia

His girl list:
    Paige
    Lily
    Ella (I think this is too close to cousin Eleanor)
    Chloe
    Hannah
    Grace

There's nothing wrong with any of his names, I just find them a little bland. I want a name similar to our son's, something sturdy but with a cool nickname, but he doesn't think like that and just wants names that he thinks will mean she'll fit in His sister got bullied badly at school, in part over her name, and it's understandable he wants a name that'll avoid that but there's a line between a 'safe' name and a 'bland' name, in my opinion.

What do you think of the names on our lists, and any suggestions for middle ground names for Nico's possible sister?

My favorite to go with Dominic out of both lists is definitely Francesca. Great nn options there and has the same feel as your sons name. I would pick one name from your list and one from his perhaps. Francesca Paige is really cool sounding.
    Mama to ~Rowan Josephine 1/12~
    and ~Teagan Dahlia~ 5/13~

Compromise? I like Grace Francesca or Lily Rebecca.
    Maximus Alexander (April 2012)
    Audrey Juliet Sophia (August 2014)
    Owner of "The Art of Naming!"

I think it should be pretty easy to find some common ground between your lists! They're really not THAT far apart style-wise, his are just a bit trendier. Ideas:

Amelia (seems a good balance between classic and on-trend)
    Eve (similar to some of the single-syllable names he likes, but a bit more panache)
    Fay (same as Eve)
    Natalie (it's popular, but pretty timeless and a little more feminine, like some of your list)
    Violet (if he likes Lily, why not Violet? Vi is an adorable nickname)

Good luck!