Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Naming restrictions is ridiculous. I seriously have to question the thinking of anyone who believes this is productive.

Joana - Wow - what an interesting list! I can figure out why some of the names are prohibited but not why others are. Do you happen to know what some of the guidelines are?

That article was so funny! Belulah Wonderbells... that was my favorite.
    ~Mehri

Quote Originally Posted by judyariel View Post
    Joana - Wow - what an interesting list! I can figure out why some of the names are prohibited but not why others are. Do you happen to know what some of the guidelines are?
    They are not very clear, and they seem to be even more obscure now...
    I mean, I think the whole point of the list is to prevent offensive names, crazy-spelling variations, names that Portuguese average-joes can't pronounce (this happens in Brazil all the time!) and to avoid gender confusing names (so different from the USA/UK name culture...). On the other hand, some of the new approvals don't seem to follow that criteria: for example, Ruby (for a boy!) and James. They are not Portuguese at all!(don't get me wrong, James is stunning, but...)

Quote Originally Posted by joana View Post
    They are not very clear, and they seem to be even more obscure now...
    I mean, I think the whole point of the list is to prevent offensive names, crazy-spelling variations, names that Portuguese average-joes can't pronounce (this happens in Brazil all the time!) and to avoid gender confusing names (so different from the USA/UK name culture...). On the other hand, some of the new approvals don't seem to follow that criteria: for example, Ruby (for a boy!) and James. They are not Portuguese at all!(don't get me wrong, James is stunning, but...)
    Well, I am not for offensive names, but that ridiculous list shows where restrictions leads -> into hypocrisy and irrationality. I bet other countries are the same, just you can't find list of approved and forbidden names.
    Sorry for bad English, I am from other country