Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by uselesskitty View Post
    There was an article in the Toronto Star last December about an elderly citizen named Mary Christmas. Her first name was Mary and she had married a man whose last name was Christmas. That would get old and annoying really fast.
    Lol I named a character Marigold Christmas once. When she met her husband at a music festival he thought she'd said 'Merry Christmas' so Merry became her nickname.
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Sorry to anyone who read TSI. First draft was terrible. Second drafting now.

Atrocity... that is bad. Who would do that? I can only assume the parents didn't know what the word meant.

I think some naming restrictions could be nice. I don't know how it works in Germany, but in Norway a name can be rejected by the authorities if it will be an inconvenience for the child, and surnames are generally not allowed unless they have a history as a given name.
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][CENTER]My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014[/CENTER][/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by ottilie View Post
    I think some naming restrictions could be nice. I don't know how it works in Germany, but in Norway a name can be rejected by the authorities if it will be an inconvenience for the child, and surnames are generally not allowed unless they have a history as a given name.
    Yeah, I'm starting to think I'd like some here too.
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Sorry to anyone who read TSI. First draft was terrible. Second drafting now.

Here in Portugal there's a list of approved and forbidden names, including by gender (there are no unisex names). It's good to prevent situations like the ones shown on this article, but sometimes it is too restrictive - for example, Sophia is forbidden (only Sofia is allowed); Juno, Mel and Ariel can only be used for boys, etc. - and in a few cases is the opposite... If the name you want is not on the list, you have to ask (and pay) for that name to be evaluated...

If anybody wants to check it out, here is the list: http://www.irn.mj.pt/sections/irn/a_...=1333375560.38 ("Sim" stands for approval and "Não" to prohibition)

There was a girl at my university named "Shitonya." I also knew of a girl named "Shitrea" and one named "Passion." I honestly think the first two girls' mothers weren't thinking of how the names looked, just about how they sounded. At least, I hope so. If it was on purpose...yikes. "Passion" reminds me of a character from a good old-fashioned bodice-ripper from the 80s, you know, one with Fabio on the cover with some tarted up captive princess or something.
    Current Favorites

Girls: Susannah, Mahalia, Tosca, Cassia, Jerusha, Jewel, Rose, Dove, Kate, and Eve
    Boys: Gideon, Gabriel, Rafael, Dominic, Benedict, Sam, Desmond, Theodore, Tobias, and Sebastian
    Guilty Pleasures: Aurelia, Cosima, Eowyn, Neytiri, Rukia / Remy, Gryffin, Gareth, Eddard, and Judah