Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    I go to a middle school of about 1400 kids. Here are how many have the top 10 names for girls (of 1998). This is using Name Nerd's list of combined spellings.

1. Caitlin and common variations:
    -Two Caitlins
    -Seven Kaitlyns
    -Three Katelyns
    -Three Caitlyns
    -Two Katlyns
    Total: 17

2. Emily and common variations:
    -Fifteen Emilys
    -One Emilie
    -One Emilee
    Total: 17

3. Sarah and variations:
    -Twelve Sarahs
    -Two Saras
    Total: 14

4. Brianna
    -Two Briannas
    -One Breana
    Total: Three

5. Hannah
    -Thirteen Hannahs
    -Two Hannas
    Total: Fifteen

6. Ashley and variations
    -Seven Ashleys
    -One Ashlee
    -One Ashleigh

Total: Nine

7. Alexis
    -Eight Alexises
    Total: Eight

8. Samantha
    -Five Samanthas
    Total: Five

9. Taylor
    - Seven Taylors
    Total: Seven

10. Madison and variations (Be prepared)
    -Eighteen Madisons
    -One Madysen
    -Three Madisens
    -Two Maddisons
    Total: Twenty three*

Out of about fourteen hundred kids- about six hundred girls- the most any name has is twenty three bearers. That's about 0.038% of the girls in the school. With all of these names combined, it's about 1 in six that have a top 10 name (my math is probably off). The rate is even lower today.

I also agree that we hear uncommon, unusual names on forums like Nameberry a lot more than we would in real life. I've seen some cross of Clementine, Cordelia and even Henrietta because they are 'too trendy'.

*There are also two Madelines and one Madelyn; who most likely go by Maddie as well.
    ~lucy reine~
    ~ celestine eira ~ mary simona ~ elizabeth echo "ellie" ~ eleanor maeve "lena" ~ vivienne isla ~ celia matilda "cici" ~ catherine aiko "rin" ~ elsa verity ~
    ~ jasper red ~ evander lachlan 'evan'~ kai nicholas ~ ezra link ~ avery thomas ~ michael satoshi "mischa" ~ finn jeremias ~ ezekiel hayden ~ alexander rowan "sacha" ~
    guilty pleasures
    ~ tisiphone aria ~ alecto elpis ~ miya lucida ~ addison matteo ~ corinthian tidus ~

I know many girls named Ashley, Brittany, Nicole and Jennifer. I've only met one Stephanie and one Victoria. All are Top 20 names for the year I was born
    Proud furmom to:
    Pepper, Kuno, Mia, Rosalind, Gwendolen & Cecily
    Currently loving:
    Elysia Maeve~Marina Isolde~Linnea Violetta~Minerva Sophronia~Merida Ianthe~Eleni Finola
    Tiernan Hugo~Felix Lysander~Orion Casimir~Caspian Milo~Evander Anslem~Leonidas Gavin
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Cosima Helene & Emrys Jasper

This is great. I know 3 Philippa/ Phillippa's, 2 Adele's, 5 Niamh/Neve/Neeve's and 3 Ciara's none of these names rank in the top 100. In my year of 200 I'm the only Ebony a top 100 name and my brothers name is in the top 50 and he has never actually met another.
    ☆Isobel★Eloise☆Matilda★Alice☆Eleanor★ Amelia☆ Elena★Mirabel☆ Felicity★Phoebe ☆Eilidh ★Rosalia☆Roisin★Azalea☆Elsa★Arabella☆ Genevieve★Elodie☆Ruby★Charlotte☆
    ★☆★
    ☆Eamon★Tiago☆Cooper★Jack☆Jago★Flynn☆ Archer★Lincoln☆Asher★Alfie☆Taylor★Baxter ☆Finnian★Lawson☆Jasper★Deacon☆Lewis ★Oscar☆Fletcher★Caspian☆
    babynameobsessed.worpress.com

I think it's true that names these days aren't as popular as they used to be. For example, the number of Jennifers born in the 1970s was MUCH higher than the number of Sophias being born today. However, I disagree with most of this post, which states that no name is popular enough to have any students with the same name in one class. I think we all know that's simply not true. As a student, I was usually one of two or three Sarahs in my class. As a teacher, I've taught classes with multiple Madelines, Matthews, Olivias, Samuels, etc. Last year, I had a class with five Claudias! Also, a lot of the not-especially-popular names listed are very trendy and weirdly spelled names. What about old fashioned names that aren't top of the pops anymore? However, I do agree with the basic sentiment of the post, which is that names are usually a LOT less popular than you think, especially those "nameberry favourites"! Names that I rule out aren't necessarily the super popular names, but the ones people I know have named their children. Some of them are popular names (ie. Aidan, Amelia & Ava), but some of them aren't so much (ie. Beatrice, Jemima & Louis).
    Audrey - Beatrice - Clara - Daphne - Flora - Jane - Mabel - Susannah

Arthur - Barnaby - Edward - Frederick - Henry - Rupert - Theodore - Walter

Quote Originally Posted by aurra View Post
    I go to a middle school of about 1400 kids. Here are how many have the top 10 names for girls (of 1998). This is using Name Nerd's list of combined spellings.

Out of about fourteen hundred kids- about six hundred girls- the most any name has is twenty three bearers. That's about 0.038% of the girls in the school. With all of these names combined, it's about 1 in six that have a top 10 name (my math is probably off). The rate is even lower today.

I also agree that we hear uncommon, unusual names on forums like Nameberry a lot more than we would in real life. I've seen some cross of Clementine, Cordelia and even Henrietta because they are 'too trendy'.

*There are also two Madelines and one Madelyn; who most likely go by Maddie as well.
    I know your point is that, even for the most popular name at your school, the percentage of girls with that name is very low. However, eighteen Madisons is an awful lot (even if it's out of 600)! To me, that seems very popular.
    Audrey - Beatrice - Clara - Daphne - Flora - Jane - Mabel - Susannah

Arthur - Barnaby - Edward - Frederick - Henry - Rupert - Theodore - Walter