Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Malcolm... X?

Malcolm... X?

Hi I'm Jeanne! I am 31 weeks pregnant with a baby of unknown gender and have been looking for name suggestions. I got some great suggestions on my first thread, one was Malcolm. I really like it and it is still on our list of names to highly consider. The only problem I have with Malcolm is that I only associate the name Malcolm with Malcolm X. I don't think he was bad or anything but I wounder if many other people associate Malcolm with Malcolm X and think that is bad. I just remember briefly hearing about him in either elementary or middle school and he was portrayed as bad/ a terrorist ( I know much more about him now and think it's strange that they would teach me that). Do you think this is a common perception of Malcolm?

I love the name Malcolm and associate it with heroes like Mal Reynolds of Serenity and, yes, Malcolm X. You might want to do some more reading about Malcolm X -- he was a brilliant man, and while his ideas were obviously radical and many of his actions were unethical, he was also arguably as important to the Civil Rights Movement as Martin Luther King.
    Simon Valor | Eloise Lily | Judah Sage | Thea Marina | Felix Orion | Iris Cordelia | Roscoe Benjamin | Lydia Wren | Jasper Conroy | Phaedra Naomi | Adrian Bruno | Lucinda 'Indie' Jane | Wallace Finnegan | Sylvie Winifred | Charles 'Charlie' Elliot | Juniper Faye | Julian 'Jules' Atlas | Matilda Sailor | Marlowe Charles | Alice Elizabeth | Jack Mariner | Marigold 'Maggie' Susan

Just a grad student, dreaming ahead...

I associate the name with the show Malcolm in the Middle. I agree with augusta_lee about Malcolm X.
    ** The opinions expressed above are not meant to be reflective of Nameberry as a whole but are my opinion and mine alone. **

Mommy to:
    Henry Nathaniel (3) and Julia Paige (1)

Current favorites:
    Bennett - Emmett - Felix - Oliver - Owen - Preston - Samuel
    Abigail - Claire - Clara - Hope - Lydia - Maude - Molly

I also associate it with Malcolm in the Middle. But hey, it was a good show! I actually used to want to call a child Reese when I was younger :P

When I was little I was obsessed with Jurassic Park and had a huge crush on Jeff Goldblum's character Dr. Ian Malcolm. Ian and Malcom are two of my favorite names right to this day. Lol. That is my main association with the name. Followed by Malcolm in the Middle.
    Ttc a baby brother or sister for Luther Wolf!