Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Family names - cool vintage names or just too old?

It is very important for me to use family names for my children. My daughter's first and middle names honor 4 women in my family.

My problem: I'm not sure if my family names are usable as first names. Do you think they are cool and vintage or old and ugly? :P

The names:
    Glenn
    Victor
    Phillip
    Robert
    Harlen or Harley
    Eugene
    Richard
    Wally (I would probably find a longer form for this one.)

So would any of these be good first names?
    My Top Names:
    Bernice, Eugenia, Harlow, Lillian, Rosemarie, Ruby

Alden, Davis, Rudy

I like Victor and Harlan a lot. Victor I feel like is very underused.

Philip I can never decide if I like or not.

Glenn is a good one-syllable middle that doesn't clash with much. I wouldn't use it as a FN though and it feels a little bit androgynous.

Richard and Robert are classic but I just don't like them, honestly. I don't think they're unusable though.

[Something] Walton is what I would do with Wally if I had to use it.

I don't like Harley or Eugene at all. But I've seen Harley used on both genders of little kids so obviously a lot of people like it, I just don't. I do like Harvey but I don't know that that's close enough.

The names on your list are great! Glenn and Harlen would be my favorites, and Eugene and Richard I would only consider for a mn. I like using names to honor family members; it gives children an important link to family history. You don't have to use the exact name, though. You could use a variant, a name with a similar meaning, or even a name with the same initial.

i would say harlen/harley as first name..

so maybe
    harley phillip glenn
    harlen richard eugene
    harlen victor glen
    harley richard victor

i mean you could use Harlen richard phillip victor ...
    or harley philip victor eugene..
    *Britberry* Dani, Mum to Bailey & Liberty {stepmum to angel Calium 17/4/02-25/06/02} ❤ Kairi Peyton Alanna ❤ Sawyer Phoenix Castiel Hm..

Faves: Phoenix, Elijah, Logan, Sawyer, Talon, Kye (Kai) Xavier Spencer //Marnie, Kairi, Peyton, Alana/Alanna, Madisyn, Cailyn, Taelyn.

Gps: Isabeau, Wynter, Schyler (nn Chyler) Amethyst // Castiel Auron (Oren) Gunner, Orion, Roman, Zeke, Talon.

I like Harlen, but it can easily sound like Harlem. So he may have a lifetime of correcting. All others I think make great middle names if you're not sure, they are cool vintage names.