Haydee - The Count of Monte Cristo
    Briony - Atonement
    Portia - Merchant of Venice
    Tessa - The Constant Nymph
    Dagny - Atlas Shrugged
    Zeena - Ethan Frome
    Hero - Much Ado About Nothing
    Bianca - The Taming of the Shrew

Och, I love literature! And oh, the names!

Lucie (A Tale of Two Cities, by Charles Dickens)
    Olivia/Viola (Twelfth Night, Shakespeare)
    Gwendolen/Cecily (The Importance of Being Earnest)
    Anne (Persuasion, Jane Austen)
    Eliza/Elizabeth/Lydia/Jane/Charlotte/Catherine (Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen)
    Elinor/Eleanor (depending on which Jane Austen novel!)
    Marguerite (meh, I don't love Marguerite, but I love The Scarlet Pimpernel! I much prefer Percy and Armand as characters over Marguerite, and as names in general--Marguerite always seemed whiney and self-indulgent, until she realizes who and what Percy is, but I still think the connection to the story is a great one!)
    Emilia (I love Emilia as a namesake from The Comedy of Errors. I couldn't say regarding the other of Shakespeare's Emilias--I've only read Comedy of Errors, which I loved. )
    Lucy/Susan (although I'd consider Susanna or Shoshana for Susan, personally!; The Chronicles of Narnia)
    Penelope (The Odyssey!)
    Evangeline (the poem Evangeline, by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow)
    Cora (The Last of the Mohicans, by James Fenimore Cooper)

And och, in just trying to make this list of my own literary favorites, I've come across nearly just as many that I have yet to read (really, my list is just too long!) that I'm just dying to--Jane Eyre, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, For Whom the Bell Tolls, Middlemarch, Anna Karenina, Emma, The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, The Little Prince (okay, again. I read it in French in my high school French classes), Around the World in 80 Days, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Lord of the Rings, The Count of Monte Cristo! And I'm in the midst of reading The Three Musketeers right now. I haven't really come across any girls' names from that, though...
    Ashley
    twenty-something namenerd and aspiring novelist

Isabelle Aurora Grace | Caleb Elias Joseph | Arianne Eleanor Daisy | Everett Joshua Charles
    Olivia Wren Camille | Jack August Wilder | Violet Ophelia Claire | Avery Ian George

My English teacher heart leaped up when I saw this thread. Love so many of what's been contributed already: I always thought Elinor/Marianne would be a lovely sibset for two sisters. And Gwendolen/Cecily are so lovely, too!

There's an out-of-print children's book that I loved as a little girl and was lucky enough to find a copy of to save and read with my own daughter(s) - "Minty's Magic Garden," with the main character named Araminta. I always thought that was a magical sounding name!

My cousin's name is Mandalay (Mandy) after the poem "On the Road to Mandalay," which I always thought was a pretty cool name inspiration.

A teacher colleague of mine has maintained for years that she will name her first daughter Hero, inspired by the Shakespeare character from "Much Ado."

What a fun idea for a thread
    Courtney (larking.)
    blog and Etsy shop

baby girl #2 due August 2013

Beatrix * Benjamin * Blythe * Bronwyn * Caleb * Eamon * Elliott * Emmett * Hazel * Imogen * Isaac
    Linnea * Lorelei * Maeve * Maren * Owen * Phoebe * Reuben * Saul * Silas * Siobhan * Sylvie * Willa

Margaret, Josephine, Elizabeth and Amelia - Little Women (better known as Meg, Jo, Beth and Amy). I also love Theodore Laurence nn Teddy and Laurie!
    Audrey - Beatrice - Clara - Daphne - Flora - Jane - Mabel - Susannah

Arthur - Barnaby - Edward - Frederick - Henry - Rupert - Theodore - Walter

Sunniva ~ The Dark Light by Mette Newth
    Astrid ~ White Oleander by Janet Fitch
    Josephine ~ Little Women by Louisa May Alcott and Chocolat by Joanne Harris
    Anouk, Vianne and Roux ~ Chocolat by Joanne Harris
    Zosie ~The Lollipop Shoes by Joanne Harris
    Alice ~ Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll
    Lyra ~ The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman

Jane ~ Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronté
    Elizabeth ~ Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
    Beatrice ~ Dante's Inferno by Dante
    Cosette ~ Les Misérables by Victor Hugo
    Isabelle ~ The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Helznick
    Ophelia ~ Hamlet by William Shakespeare
    Arabella ~ Atonement by Ian McEwan
    Matilda ~Matilda by Roald Dahl
    Sara ~ A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett
    Christine ~ The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux
    Zoya and Alexandra ~ Zoya by Danielle Steel
    Violet and Sunny ~ ​A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket
    Twenty-something musician, yogini and name lover who dreams of strolling the boulevards of Paris by day and writing songs by night.

Mes prénoms préfères;

Elodie ~ Sylvie ~ Vivienne ~ Giovanna ~ Beatrice ~ Seraphina ~ Marguerite ~ Edith ~ Cosette ~ Isadora ~

Alexander ~ Marcel ~ Elias ~ Nicholas ~ James ~ Henry ~ Rowan ~ Django ~ Kai ~ Tristan ~ Luca