Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by sidura View Post
    I like it. It's a lovely name and it will age well. Yes, the nn Mila is a bit of a stretch. I kinda see how they got it--the M from Margaret, and the -la from Laura. I don't think it's more of a stretch than Peg from Margaret!
    I agree!
    From our ancestors come our names, but from our virtues our honors. ~ Proverb

Anna Josephine, Caroline Grace, James Frederick, Luke Donovan

Margaret Laura is rather lovely, although I too am befuddled by the Mila nickname. I thought Mara would make better sense as a nn, combining the first two letters of Margaret and last two of Laura. Their choice though.

NB: Both are family names, Margaret is after Henry's mother, Laura obviously after Laura Bush.
    ♥ Margaret Mary ♥
    19. Name nerd. College sophomore.

~ Eliza Josephine ~ Esther Christabel ~ Harriet Aurelia ~ Mary Jessamine ~ Rose Georgina ~ Sarah Margaret ~
    ~ Asher Benedict ~ Gabriel Walter ~ John Constantine ~ Noah August ~ Reuben Alexander ~ Samuel Ernest ~

Quote Originally Posted by sidura View Post
    I like it. It's a lovely name and it will age well. Yes, the nn Mila is a bit of a stretch. I kinda see how they got it--the M from Margaret, and the -la from Laura. I don't think it's more of a stretch than Peg from Margaret!
    Peg isn't really a stretch though is it?!

Peg is simple a rhyming form of Meg, a more obvious short form of Margaret, and inspired by the fact Polly evolved from Molly as a nickname for Mary.
    ♥ Margaret Mary ♥
    19. Name nerd. College sophomore.

~ Eliza Josephine ~ Esther Christabel ~ Harriet Aurelia ~ Mary Jessamine ~ Rose Georgina ~ Sarah Margaret ~
    ~ Asher Benedict ~ Gabriel Walter ~ John Constantine ~ Noah August ~ Reuben Alexander ~ Samuel Ernest ~

It's just a nickname, guys. Among families where certain names are repeated, it's often used to distinguish one from another. Think of To Kill a Mockingbird: Charles Baker Harris is called Dill; Jean Louise Finch is called Scout. It doesn't have to derive from the original name; it's just a pet name to distinguish the younger Margaret Hager from the elder Margaret Hager.

I love Margaret Laura--strong, feminine and classy. I also have no problem at all with Mila as a nickname.
    **Proud mama to Owen McCabe and Eloise Mairead aka "Lola Mae" **