Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

What do you think? New boy's list

These are just some names I've been thinking a lot about recently. None of them are favourites yet I'm just after some feedback:

Oberon
    Alder
    Roscoe
    Iolo
    Atlas
    Cosmo
    Herbie
    Thoreau (too pretentious?)
    Gaius
    Cyril
    Indigo (this, and plenty of other word/nature names, is only listed as a female name on Nameberry which seems ridiculous to me)
    Orson
    River
    Digby
    Memphis
    Cricket (see Indigo)

As a whole, they make better middle name material, but there are a few I'd definitely use in the first spot.
    What do you think?
    Last edited by oliviasarah; April 14th, 2013 at 01:20 PM. Reason: sp
    Jemima Rosemary - Eilidh Briar - Fenella Beatrix ✿ Alec Huw - Emmett Nicholas - Rufus Caspian
    Billie, Magdalena, Imogen, Octavia, Ailbhe, Jessa, Raphaela, Agnes, Imogen, Amelia, Medora, Lettice, Annabella.
    Dylan, Breccan, Rhett, Oscar, Ingram, Harrison, William, Vincent, Wolfie, Keaton.

✿✿✿

Traveller at heart and dreaming of future babes, but mostly I'm just an expat teenage girl from England...http://bigsistercomplex.tumblr.com/

Oberon - I love this very much. It's mysterious and sexy, maybe a little much for a baby but you could call him Obie or Ron.
    Alder - I love alder trees, they're amazing and magical and beautiful. So the name, naturally, is a big love of mine.
    Roscoe - Simply cool! Have you heard the Midlake song? It rocks! The name makes me think of knights and shining armour.
    Iolo - Not too fond of this.
    Atlas - One of the mythology names I can't get behind. He was punished to forever bear the heavens on his shoulders! Just cruel.
    Cosmo - I love Cosmo, and Italian Cosmio as well. A lot of people will associate it with Seinfeld, but that's not a bad thing.
    Herbie - As a short for Herbert, sure.
    Thoreau (too pretentious?) - I don't think so. I love Thoreau!
    Gaius - Swoon... Gaius is so so good. I think Caius is more wearable though... I love Gaius but this is one name where the teasing potential is too obvious.
    Cyril - Nice one, I like it very much.
    Indigo - Just as much a boy name as a girl name, it's very nice. There was a scary character on a kid's show I watched when I was little bearing this name.
    Orson - Beautiful, I slightly prefer Italian Orsino, but both are wonderful. Bear cub! Orson Welles! And the constellations...
    River - I like it very much, but very tied to the late Mr. Phoenix.
    Digby - Just so you know, this is a very common dog name (dachshunds)
    Memphis - No, please don't.
    Cricket - It's cute, I think most men would hate being named after this little insect or the sport.
    My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014

I sorted them into likes and dislikes

Oberon - bit much for a wee baby but magical all the same
    Alder - I'm liking this one more and more
    Roscoe - one of my GPs! I think of it as a cheeky, rough-and-tumble name, probably because it reminds me of 'rascal'
    Cosmo - love it. I can imagine a crazy little Cosmo running around!
    Herbie - lovely. Like Herbert more though.
    Cyril - I'm torn on this one. I do like it, but it reminds me of Cyril Sneer
    Indigo - love love love. Always felt this name was more male anyway. And I love Inigo too

Dislikes:

Iolo - pronunciation issues. I'm tempted to say 'yo-lo', like the annoying teen craze.
    Atlas - not a fan
    Gaius - yeah, massive teasing potential Children can be cruel.
    Thoreau - I just don't like it. I like Thor and most -eau names, but they're just not working together IMO.
    Orson - I've been watching too much Desperate Housewives. Bree's hubby isn't a good association for me.
    River - I've never liked this name. River is still very much a geographical feature in my head.
    Digby - Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar?! Do you like Digory at all?
    Memphis - Not keen on most place names.
    Cricket - My favourite sport EVER! But just not a baby name
    William ♠ Thomas ♠ Peter ♠ Henry ~ Rose ♠ Alice ♠ Ivy ♠ Lowenna
    Mowesi ~ Henwyn Kernewek ~ Mebyon

Hi Oliviasarah, you have some interesting "new loves" on your list. I've bolded my faves.

Oberon - I like this name but I have a soft spot for the Auberon spelling for some reason.

Alder - An underused tree name.

Roscoe - spunky and rakish. I also like Pascoe (aka Dalziel and Pascoe detective series).

Iolo - I love this Welsh name (yo-lo) but would there be pronunciation problems where you live?

Atlas - I read too many of these books in geography class to seriously think of it as a name.

Cosmo - There was a zany character called Cosmo Kramer on the Seinfeld show here in North America. There was also a book serious called "Cosmo the Dodo Bird". And of course the ladies mag, Cosmopolitan (aka Cosmo).

Herbie - cartoon car "Herbie the Love Bug". Too cutesy.

Thoreau - a quirky mn choice

Gaius - I think Caius would cut down on the "gay" issue. I pronounce it "guy-is" but some people may say it "gay-is".

Cyril - an old saints name - underused and unappreciated. A softer boys name.

Indigo -Better in the middle spot for either gender. In Canada, Chapters Indigo is a major book chain store.

Orson - Love this name. Strong and masculine and a rare "son" name.

River - Not my style

Digby - I always thought this name is good for any terrier dog breed - they like to dig up gardens!

Memphis - unless you have a connection to the place (Egypt or Tennessee), I wouldn't use it.

Cricket (see Indigo) - Too cute for a grown man. It's used as a girls nn for Christine in the US TV soap opera.
    All the best,
    Mischa.

Oberon - Sounds strong and handsome, definitely unique but not my style
    Alder - I'd prefer Aldin because this might get confused with Elder. I wouldn't want him sounding old lol
    Roscoe - Makes me think of a dog, or a tough country guy. But I think it's cute. What about Rocco?
    Iolo - I like it in theory, but I think it'd be hard to live with. Nobody'd ever spell or say it right.
    Atlas - I see the appeal... but I think it's a bit odd for a name.
    Cosmo - Used to like this, but now its too floaty and mystical for me.
    Herbie - Definitely not. Herb or Herbert are not any better.
    Thoreau (too pretentious?) - Yes, but it's handsome.
    Gaius - I prefer Caius.
    Cyril - Mm... no, don't like it. Not a fan of the Cy names.
    Indigo - I agree that this should be male. Its nice.
    Orson - Strong and handsome
    River - I do tend to like this on boys, but i'd probably never use it.
    Digby - Not a fan
    Memphis - Only if the city means something to ya. Sounds kinda silly to me.
    Cricket (see Indigo) - Cute for a nickname for a girl. I don't think it's a good name for a boy.
    Last edited by karacavazos; April 14th, 2013 at 02:45 PM.
    Maximus Alexander's Mama
    Owner of "The Art of Naming!"