Results 1 to 5 of 6
April 14th, 2013 10:23 AM #1
Soap Opera in a Book - you never get many views in writers corner so I asked here too
I thought of maybe writing a soap opera. What do you think? It's set in a beach town named either Aldham, Lormount, Blackwall or Freyston.
I've come up with characters and possible name ideas but it's kind of hard to find ones that fit. Suggestions would be fab!
1. The Landlady
sensible, posh, a retired accountant from Chelsea, London. Always looks smart. Is widowed and owns a cat (name required too!), short permed hair, has two children working in the city. Classic Name, possibly Elizabeth or Katharine.
2. Landlady's Daughter
early twenties, clever, fairly posh but enjoys a laugh and party. Has lots of friends and is a Lawyer. Looks after her mother, whom with she gets on well. Newly Married. Long dark brown hair and big brown eyes. Maybe Alice, Lucy or Victoria.
3. Landlady's Son In-Law
Very tall, athletic, 'cool' and rich. Owns a jag and wears lots of cologne. Loves his wife very much. He is the Jaguar heir. A bit snooty and ridiculed by people in the town. A trenty name.
4. The Pub Owner
late forties, lives with his wife and adopted children. Dry sense of humour and has lots of friends. Very large. The pub is called 'The Giant's Arms'. perhaps Roger.
5. The Pub Owner's Wife
late forties, kind and motherly. Sense of humour. Loves to cook. Thinking Darlene or Cheryl. A very middle aged name.
6. Pub Owner's Daughter
just turned 18. Pretty and cool, flirts with all of the men that visit the pub. Going through a heavy metal and punk stage. Wants to be a singer and often performs in the pub. Has a baby daughter named Amelia.
7. Pub Owner's Son
aged 24. Just settled down with his wife, Shelley, and son Harrison.
8. The Mysterious Girl
aged early twenties, moved into a small cottage and keeps herself to herself. Has a ginger bob and freckles and wears a beret. An artist. When approached is fairly friendly. Something unusual like Araminta or Wren.
9. The Middle Aged Single Man
An alchoholic who gets on with everyone. Has a dark past (has been in prison)
10. The 4 Generation Family
Elderly father who is the local butcher and losing his hearing. His son and daughter in-law, middle aged and fighting a lot. Both are teachers. Their twenty year old twin daughters who are completely different: one is a dancer and a drama queen who loves to go shopping whereas the other is settling to be a doctor in town and has just moved in with her fiancee and their son Thomas.
11. The Pub Owner's daughter's real Mother
Her performing career is ruined so she sets out to find her daughter. Is a big Broadway star. Needs a normal real name and an amazing stage name.
12. The Struggling Family
Couple in early thirties and seven year old daughter who is struggling with Cancer.
Those are all my ideas right now.Giselle Lydia Chiara Darcy Lowri Cleo Nova Fleur Noelle Giovanna Mathilde Flora Susannah Maia Jude David Rueben Theo Raphael Arthur Lance Vinny Marcus James Rowan Henry Christopher
April 14th, 2013 11:56 AM #3
Anyone posting?Giselle Lydia Chiara Darcy Lowri Cleo Nova Fleur Noelle Giovanna Mathilde Flora Susannah Maia Jude David Rueben Theo Raphael Arthur Lance Vinny Marcus James Rowan Henry Christopher
April 14th, 2013 12:28 PM #5Senior Member
- Join Date
- Jul 2012
- London, England
Sounds sweet, Eve!
First of all, I think you should look at the map of the English south coast; Sussex, Hamps, Dorset & Devon. I've always liked the -havens, -queys, -mouths, and especially the -on seas. Maybe some of these will inspire you? Freyston-on-sea would be cool. (Blackwall is a dodgy area in London, btw.)
1. The land lady: I would avoid Katherine and Elizabeth. She sounds posh, and a fair amount of my friends have mothers who are Chelsea bred. Patricia, Sandra, Caroline, Vanessa, Audrey.
2. The land lady's daughter: If she's a lawyer I'll bump her age up to late twenties for you. I think Alice could work, but I'll give you a few more possibilities: Georgiana, Natasha, Sophie, Holly, Christine, Lindsey, Amanda, Sara.
3. The land lady's son-in-law: Assuming he'll be in his late twenties-early thirties, and comes from a pretty good family, I'll give you classic names that were popular around 1983: Christopher, Andrew, James, Lee, David, Daniel, Anthony, Alexander, Peter, Mark, Stuart, Jason, Joseph.
4. The Pub Owner: I think Roger could work. The first names that popped into my head were Gary, Patrick, Dean, Russel and Roy.
5. The Pub Owner's Wife: Janet, Deborah, Tracey, Sally, Linda, Mandy, Kathryn or Julie.
6. The Pub Owner's Daughter: Chloe, Lauren, Rebecca, Charlotte, Jade, Katie, Molly, Megan, Samantha, Gemma or Hayley.
7. The Pub Owner's Son: Connor, Harry, Lewis, Brandon, Ryan, Liam, Jordan, Luke, Nathan, Ben, Sam, Sean.
8. The Mysterious Girl: Araminta is very posh. Wren could work, but feels very ahead of it's time. Luella, Cassia?
9. The Middle Aged Single Man: John, Alan, Paul, Stephen, Ian, Kenneth.
10. The 4 Generation Family:
a) Butcher: Donald, Gordon, Norman, Leonard.
b) Butcher's son: Nigel, Trevor, Malcolm, Terence, Clive, Timothy.
c) Butcher's daughter in law: Angela, Pamela, Jacqueline, Jennifer, Heather, Eileen, Valerie.
d) Twin (dancer): Michelle, Carly, Emma, Melissa, Rosie, Paige.
e) Twin (doctor): Donna, Alison, Jenny, Olivia, Amy, Grace.
f) Twin's (e) fiance: Simon, Craig, Scott, Carl, Ashely.
11: The Pub Owner's Daughter's Birth Mother: Nicola, Lisa, Joanne, Karen, Louise, Rose.
12: The Struggling Family: Hannah, Emily, Jessica, Stacey, Kelly & Samuel, Aaron, Mohammed, Barry, Shane. Daughter: India, Savannah, Elodie, Ella, Alice.
You should throw in a gay couple I think, for some fun[FONT=Palatino Linotype][CENTER]My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014[/CENTER][/FONT]
April 14th, 2013 12:51 PM #7Senior Member
- Join Date
- Dec 2011
First, those don't sound like beach town names, but maybe they are in the UK? I think something like Blackwater or Newland would be cool.
1. Mary, Marian, Margaret, Martha?
3. Son-in-law should have a distinguished sounding name if he is the heir of Jaguar - Holden, Hugh, Henry?
4. Roger is great! Jack would be cool and a funny connection to the name of the pub - Jack and the Beanstalk.
5. Susan, Gail, Nancy?
6. Should be a name that she finds boring - Jane, Jennifer, Anne, Elizabeth (lots of cool nn possibilities for her to chose for people to call her instead)
7. Harry would be good with a son name Harrison - Shelley seems a bit outdated for a girl in her 20s - How about Stephanie or Sarah?
Also sort of outdated, but still common.
8. Something unusual, but more common in UK than US - Morven, Morwyn, Morwenna, Glynis, Carys, Freya?
9. Doyle - means black stranger, Other dark baby names: Donovan, Sullivan, Cole, Blake, Nigel, Morris, Kieran
10. Father Carl, Daughter Helen and Son-in-law John, children Lucy and Leah?
11. Marcy to Marcella, Lori to Lorelei, Nicole to Nicolette?
12. Shannon and Charlie and daughter Hannah or Charlotte?
April 14th, 2013 01:10 PM #9Senior Member
- Join Date
- Dec 2011
David and Joel? David is the one that cheated.
The young buck that looks like he could be in a boy band, could be named Brody or Brandon, or something trendy.