Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones

Game of Thrones

Those of you who watch Game of Thrones, do you also find the name theme, or rather lack of, irking?

At first I thought perhaps it was due to each region having certain names, but that doesn't seem to answer it either.
    Catelyn annoys me to no end, but I wrote that up to her being from a different region, especially with her sister being Eliza. However, Catelyn and Eliza in a sibset is also unfitting.

Then there's Cersei, Jaime, and Tyrion...with Cersei and Jaime being twins. That one drives me mad.

It just seems like a big bunch of disconnect when their is a Brandon and Sansa in the same sibset. I don't know, perhaps I'm just overly obsessed with names.

Daenerys and Viserys fit well imo though.
    Last edited by east93; April 13th, 2013 at 11:39 PM. Reason: Clarification purposes
    Laurel - 21 - Aries - Slytherin - University of Toronto

I completely agree with you about Catelyn, though I should point out that her sister's name is Lysa, not Eliza. That actually makes it worse in my opinion. Here's what I said about Catelyn on another thread:

Quote Originally Posted by geeknamezyo View Post
    And Catelyn really, really bothers me. At least Brandon kind of sounds like it belongs in a fantasy series. But Catelyn? No. Sounds like a stereotypically vapid sorority girl born in the nineties (no offense to the Katelyn/Catelyn/Caitlins of the world.) And if it's pronounced cat-lin, why the E? I just don't get it.
    So yeah. I get where you're coming from. That said, the mixing of mundane and fantastical names is fairly common in the fantasy genre: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AerithAndBob

So I guess Catelyn is the only one that really irks me. For some reason I have no problem with Jaime.
    Gwen
    College student, bookworm, terrible influence.
    Owner of a cat: Minerva "Minnie"

Current favorites:
    Belphoebe Cosima Sybella Ailsa Celia
    Prosper Finn August Malcolm Zephyr

Catelyn's sister is Lysa, not Eliza. I think Catelyn and Lysa sound nice together. I don't understand why Catelyn annoys you. Is it the spelling, you just don't like the name, something else? Add their brother Edmure to the mix and I think all three make a nice sib set.

Catelyn, Lysa, and Edmure Tully. I think it has a nice ring to it.

EDITED TO ADD: Catelyn is pronounced Cat-lyn. I think the e is there because it looks better? That would be my guess. Catelyn is called Cat as a nickname a lot and I don't think that's weird or anything.

I don't see a problem with Cersei, Jaime and Tyrion either. Do you not think Jaime is as "exotic" enough to go with the other two? I think it fits fine.

I think the only house that really has a theme would be House Targaryen. They tend to favor -ae together and tend to use a lot of -y's: Daenerya, Rhaegar, Viserys, Visenya, Rhaena, Daena, Elaena, Aegon, Jaehaerys, etc. And I love it. For a fantasy book/tv show, not necessarily in real life.

I do see a slight similarity with Brandon and Sansa, but it's just the "an" sound which isn't really a brother because Sansa is usually pronounced more like "Sahn-sa" especially with the actors' accents if that makes any sense. I have noticed the Starks having probably the most "normal" names. Eddard, Brandon, William, Jon, Robb, etc.

Personally I think George R. R. Martin did a pretty amazing job at coming up with 5,000+ names for characters.
    “A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.”
    -George R.R. Martin

alyssa ϟ twenty-one ϟ usa ϟ name lover

If I ever have a baby, I would name him or her:
    Charlotte Matilda |Augustus Henry

Anastasia Louise, Clara Penelope, Amelia Caitlin / Aiden James, Jase Alexander, Renly Isaac
    +more

alyssa897, it's the fact that Catelyn is such a non-fantasy name that we're complaining about. Same with Brandon-- the problem isn't the similar sounds, it's the utter style mismatch.
    Gwen
    College student, bookworm, terrible influence.
    Owner of a cat: Minerva "Minnie"

Current favorites:
    Belphoebe Cosima Sybella Ailsa Celia
    Prosper Finn August Malcolm Zephyr

Quote Originally Posted by geeknamezyo View Post
    alyssa897, it's the fact that Catelyn is such a non-fantasy name that we're complaining about. Same with Brandon-- the problem isn't the similar sounds, it's the utter style mismatch.
    Ok. So, out of interest, how would you have rename the Stark family?

Eddard, Catelyn, Robb, Jon, Sansa, Brandon, Arya and Rickon.

Regarding themes. My friend and I watch the Borgia's as well and noticed that:

(Highlight for semi-spoiler)

In that Jofre marries a lady called Sancha. Very similar to the names and betrothal of Joffrey and Sansa I think you'll agree!

So he does seem to dip into history on occasion to borrow names.
    Last edited by renrose; April 14th, 2013 at 06:36 PM.
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Sorry to anyone who read TSI. First draft was terrible. Second drafting now.