Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones

Eh, personally I have no problem with Brandon, being in the sibset/story, especially because he goes by Bran. But I can see how it's a mismatch. I guess I'd rename Catelyn something less ridiculous that also has the nickname Cat.

renrose, I totally hadn't noticed the connection with the Borgias! I knew about the whole Lannister/Stark=Lancaster/York thing, but somehow overlooked Sancia/Sansa and Jofre/Joffrey. Kudos to you for making that connection.
    Gwen
    College student, bookworm, terrible influence.
    Owner of a cat: Minerva "Minnie"

Current favorites:
    Mazarine Cosima Odette Ailsa Celia
    Prosper Finn August Malcolm Zephyr

Quote Originally Posted by alyssa897 View Post
    Catelyn's sister is Lysa, not Eliza. I think Catelyn and Lysa sound nice together. I don't understand why Catelyn annoys you. Is it the spelling, you just don't like the name, something else? Add their brother Edmure to the mix and I think all three make a nice sib set.

Catelyn, Lysa, and Edmure Tully. I think it has a nice ring to it.

EDITED TO ADD: Catelyn is pronounced Cat-lyn. I think the e is there because it looks better? That would be my guess. Catelyn is called Cat as a nickname a lot and I don't think that's weird or anything.

I don't see a problem with Cersei, Jaime and Tyrion either. Do you not think Jaime is as "exotic" enough to go with the other two? I think it fits fine.

I think the only house that really has a theme would be House Targaryen. They tend to favor -ae together and tend to use a lot of -y's: Daenerya, Rhaegar, Viserys, Visenya, Rhaena, Daena, Elaena, Aegon, Jaehaerys, etc. And I love it. For a fantasy book/tv show, not necessarily in real life.

I do see a slight similarity with Brandon and Sansa, but it's just the "an" sound which isn't really a brother because Sansa is usually pronounced more like "Sahn-sa" especially with the actors' accents if that makes any sense. I have noticed the Starks having probably the most "normal" names. Eddard, Brandon, William, Jon, Robb, etc.

Personally I think George R. R. Martin did a pretty amazing job at coming up with 5,000+ names for characters.
    Thank you both for the correction. I never saw the name in print, so I thought I'd heard Eliza. :P

Catelyn, Lysa, and Edmure just annoy me more now! Catelyn is completely mispronunced, and very very very modern looking and feeling. Especially next to Lysa and Edmure.
    Same with Jaime, it's far too modern, and common compared to Cersei and Tyrion.

House Targaryen I agree has a obvious theme, and I appreciate that a whole lot more. I'm in love with the naming, I think it's very fitting for the genre as well.

You're right on the common -an- with Brandon and Sansa. I too noticed the Stark house had more familiar names. Brandon isn't so bad because he's called Bran, and is fits with William and Jon, but the Arya, Sansa and Brandon annoyed me to no end at first, now I'm noticing the difference a lot less.

"alyssa897, it's the fact that Catelyn is such a non-fantasy name that we're complaining about. Same with Brandon-- the problem isn't the similar sounds, it's the utter style mismatch."
    I totally agree with this.

Something like Catlen and Branson would've been MUCH better, imo.

I think I'm hyper aware of the naming scheme because I'm in the process of forming my own fantasy world, so this is more of an interest to me than normal.
    Laurel - 21 - Aries - Slytherin - University of Toronto

Quote Originally Posted by renrose View Post
    Ok. So, out of interest, how would you have rename the Stark family?

Eddard, Catelyn, Robb, Jon, Sansa, Brandon, Arya and Rickon.

Regarding themes. My friend and I watch the Borgia's as well and noticed that:

(Highlight for semi-spoiler)

In that Jofre marries a lady called Sancha. Very similar to the names and betrothal of Joffrey and Sansa I think you'll agree!

So he does seem to dip into history on occasion to borrow names.
    Personally, I'd do:

Eddard, Catlen, Robb, Jon, Sansa, Bransen/Branden even, Arya, Rickon.

And that's a very interesting connection there!

Generally I'm not very fond of the Stark names, but I think all the names suit them. I don't understand your problem with Catelyn, I would if it had actually been pronounced Kate-lynn because that would have been WAY too modern-ish, but it's pronounced Cat-lin, so I don't think it's a problem. Catelyn, Edmure and Lysa are a fitting ASOIAF sibset (they also have two unnamed brothers). Bran is named after Ned's late brother, Brandon.

Personally I like that G.R.R.M. has used "normal" names too. Also, it must have taken him so, so, so long time to come up with all the Targaryen names, I perfectly understand why he didn't do that for all the Houses.
    Zelia • Twenty • Film, history and royalty connoisseur • I have a personal blog and one about royalty
    Exporting beautiful old Danish names, exotic Greenlandic names and Greenlandic sibling names
    Henry Ásgeirr Edmund • Amaury Charles Fyodor "Theo" • Alexander Adelin Lórien "Sasha" • Asa Edouard Ivik
    Cosima Ingrid Zenobia "Mimi" • Matilda Ivalo Galadriel "Tilda" • Gaia Margaret Undómiel • Asta Catherine Françoise "Shazza"

Quote Originally Posted by east93 View Post
    Catelyn, Lysa, and Edmure just annoy me more now! Catelyn is completely mispronunced, and very very very modern looking and feeling. Especially next to Lysa and Edmure.
    Same with Jaime, it's far too modern, and common compared to Cersei and Tyrion.
    I started reading A Game of Thrones just recently, so I don't know many of the characters yet - but when I first came across Catelyn's name, I immediately thought "Really?". It just screamed "the U.S. girls' name of the 90s" to me. Brandon (haven't met him yet) looks equally misplaced, but his nn Bran is fine with me.

House Targaryen I agree has a obvious theme, and I appreciate that a whole lot more. I'm in love with the naming, I think it's very fitting for the genre as well.
    I'm with you - I totally fell in love with the Targaryens' names at first sight.

Being both a fantasy / SF writer and a name nerd, I have pretty high naming standards that most books / games / movies fail to meet (but I have learned to live with that). I place great importance on consistency and originality. I like "real" names only in urban fantasy or settings that are clearly modeled after a real one (pseudo-medieval, -Roman, -Egyptian, you get the point). For example, I really like the naming in the Elder Scrolls games. There's a pseudo-Roman province, where people have names such as Decimus Hereus and Auria Jucunda, as well as other societies with their own distinctive names. As for myself, I am also a language enthusiast, so I follow the Tolkien approach for the fantasy trilogy I'm working on: I come up with at least a rough outline of the phonetics of each language, which serves as a base to derive names from. I have to admit it often takes ages to come up with the perfect name for a character, so I can definitely understand why Martin didn't choose to go with original names à la House Targaryen for everyone.

geeknamezyo: Thanks for posting the tvtropes link! Looks like a great read.
    Last edited by ayane; April 16th, 2013 at 07:55 PM.
    Twenty-something SF & fantasy writer, name and language nerd in constant search of new names to bestow on defenseless characters. :-)

My list of all-time faves, continuously updated with new comments and thoughts.