Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Hideously Enchanting

Recently, while trawling through lists and lists of names (which some fellow Nameberries may or may not also do in their spare time) I came across this name: Bedelia (buh-DEE-lee-uh). Upon first glance, I thought, quite frankly, it was horrible. Who wants 'bed' as the first syllable of your darling daughter's name? (You might guess where this is going) Needless to say, after continually thinking about it overnight, I fell in love. It's just as enchanting as Cordelia, but with a slightly unusual air - just the sort of name that attracts me most. Then I thought, actually, my list is actually made up of names that are ugly to most, but which I adore nonetheless. Ewelina (ev-uh-LEEN-uh). Yaritza. Aldith. Elspeth.

So, (sorry about that long rant about me) I'm trying to see if there are any more names like this, or indeed, if anyone has these kind of names on their respective lists. Does anyone have any almost universally unappealing names on your list that you helplessly love all the same?

NOTE: The fact that these names are unattractive to most people at first glance is why they are not being considered for first names. Apart from Elspeth. I'm working up to an Elspeth.

GIRLS: Carlotta Miriam EiraMarguerite Airlie SusannahElisabet Caieta Ruth

Car Baby Tuppence Zosia Mabel---------------------------------------------Recent Fancies: Hamish Idris February & Vivian Tamsin Blythe

Bedelia makes me think of the Amelia Bedelia books I read as a kid - I actually think it is a fun twist on Amelia, Cordelia, or similar names.

Also, I think if you absolutely love Elspeth, go for it. Even though it doesn't appeal to me personally, If I met someone named that, I would think "wow, that is a cool and original name!"

I, too, love unusual names. I love Bedelia and it also reminds me of the book series I loved so much!

Persephone
    Margaery
    Seraphina
    Aracely (Ara-say-lee)
    Morgana
    Clover

you might like some names from here: http://nameberry.com/list/240/Ancient-Names-for-Girls
    “A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.”
    -George R.R. Martin

alyssa ϟ twenty-one ϟ usa ϟ name lover

If I ever have a baby, I would name him or her:
    Charlotte Matilda |Augustus Henry

Anastasia Louise, Clara Penelope, Amelia Caitlin / Aiden James, Jase Alexander, Renly Isaac
    +more

Bedelia is super cute! You're asking for names we love that are ugly to most? I've got a few...

Boys:

Ebenezer
    Jebediah
    Opie

(That's it for my "universally unappealing" but beloved boys' names. Most of my boy names are appealing to even non-name-enthusiasts.)

Girls, though? Whew, here goes my list of names that everyone else tends to dislike, with an asterisk by the ones I would actually use:

Jerusha* (in my top ten favorites!)
    Cilla*
    Elsabee
    Beeley* (not in my top ten, but close)
    Monema*
    Bellett
    Galiena
    Gelleia: (jel-AY-uh?)
    Mab*
    Merial
    Milla/Mylla
    Rametta