Names Searched Right Now:
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Another secret crusher of elspeth. I don't think I'd ever use it, especially in the states because everyone would think it was Elizabeth, but I still love the unusual sound of it, like whispering a magical spell.
    Too bad the boyfriend acted as if I had lost my mind when I said it, and practically spat the name out ten times in a row... Sigh.

@tarynkay - Thank you for more information about the Amelia Bedelia books - I have just "Wiki'd" them and she does seem a little "bumbling" as you describe! And the names you mention are lovely - Solveig and Petra are my favourite but I have a feeling Moira is going to be a new favourite...Jericho seems like such a strong name, and with the subtle Biblical connection, I just think it's wonderful. Thomasina and Jamesina are long-loves of mine, but I haven't been able to work up such enthusiasm for Bernardette yet - I know quite a pushy lady with the name and she tarnishes it for me a little. I'm also having trouble finding boys' names that fit this descrption - the most outrageous name on my boys' list is Alban, which I suppose is a little odd. Thank you!

@m_darling - I agree, those not open-minded/sophisticated types really put a spanner in the works sometimes But I'm glad to hear you know a few Elspeths. I totally love all the names you just mentioned - it seems that Scandinavian charm often takes a little time to work, perhaps? Good luck with your searching - thank you.

@argenta_genova - I had never thought about it like that - that changes Bedelia for me, in a way. Perhaps it isn't so "ugly" after all? It does have a lovely sound... But Desdemona is truly gorgeous. Although I see why it might be hard for others to separate the name from her associations. It's so sad when that happens! Thank you.

@evelynmargaret - So happy to see Adair in there: Adair, Alba and Antheia are all already on my list (I can't seem to resist those A-names) and Iolanthe, Lilias and Alene are all so wonderful, I think they might be becoming new additions! Edwin is just darling, and it's lovely that it has such meaning to you and Hector...what can I say about Hector. I'm reading the Iliad at the moment, and who could not fall in love with the name?! (I'm also quite liking Paris for boys, despite his slightly irritating character, but I know a boy with this name would be teased mercilessly about Paris Hilton - what a shame primary schools don't teach Ancient Greek ) Thank you!

@anotherkate - Soon we're going to have to make a club - I can't get over how many people don't hate it! But the similarity to Elizabeth is a problem, as is the fact that my mother says it as if she can't wait to have the horrid taste out of her mouth... Dear me, some people. Anyway, I wish you luck with your Elspeth-y ways of persuasion. Thank you!

GIRLS: Carlotta Miriam BenedikteMarguerite Airlie SusannahElisabet Ruth Frederica

Car Baby Tuppence Zosia Mabel---------------------------------------------Recent Fancies: Hamish Idris February & Vivian Tamsin Blythe

Ooh. Seconding Elspeth, Petra, Adair, Lilias and Desdemona.

I also like Marceline, Lilith, Ozma and Aravis, which I think fit this category. For boys, I have a soft spot for Bartholomew.
    Gwen
    College student, bookworm, terrible influence.
    Owner of a cat: Minerva "Minnie"

Current favorites:
    Belphoebe Cosima Sybella Ailsa Celia
    Prosper Finn August Malcolm Zephyr

@sidura - Thank you very much for commenting - I really am so surprised at all these Elspeth fans! Rowena is lovely as well - I think I must be a funky/clunky name fan too...

@geeknamezyo - Count me in as thirding all the names you just seconded...if that makes sense. Marceline (always reminds me of marzipan, in a good way), Lilith (I had never heard the negative associations until recently, but I have always loved the painting Lady Lilith) and Aravis (which you have just introduced me to) are all simply beautiful, and I'm warming up to Ozma. (A recent thread was asking for middle names for Ozma and that's where I saw it first, so I haven't had much time to get to know it yet) And Bartholemew (nicknamed Art/Arty) - ADORABLE! (also love Ajax and Julian in your signature) Thank you for commenting!

GIRLS: Carlotta Miriam BenedikteMarguerite Airlie SusannahElisabet Ruth Frederica

Car Baby Tuppence Zosia Mabel---------------------------------------------Recent Fancies: Hamish Idris February & Vivian Tamsin Blythe

For girls, my favorites tend to be very liquid and ethereal rather than earthy/clunky. I think Wilhelmina is lovely because of Mina Harker, and I have a great-great-Aunt Thelma whose name I always loved despite the hate. But I have lots of clunky vintage Biblical boys' names that I just die for that most people seem to dislike:

The Z's: Zebulon, Zephaniah, Zaccheus, Zebediah
    Ezekiel
    Nicodemus (adore)
    Nazareth
    Mordecai
    Phineas
    Obadiah
    Malachi (on my short list)
    Philemon
    Thaddeus
    Enoch
    Ishmael
    Zion Nathaniel ~ Solomon Fable ~ Balthazar Wolf ~ Malachi Sparrow nn Kai ~ Tobias Rowan ~ Endymion _____ nn Ender ~ Caspian _____
    Alice Willow ~ Ophelia Wren ~ Lucia Pearl ~ Eve Wisteria nn Evie ~ Cosima Rose ~ River _____

GPs
    Narnia Rose, Luna Seraphine, Astoria nn Story, Illyria, Serafina, Soraya, Faerydae
    Orion Melchior North, Tobias Loki, Edmund, Frost, Oberon, Kenshin, Remiel, Atreyu