Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Maxine

Maxine

DH suggested this today... he likes the nn Maxie. As I posted before we were considering Charlotte nn Charli/e and he thought Maxine/Maxie had the same "feel" (girly, classic name, boyish nickname i suppose)

Thoughts? Is it too weird? Or cute? I can't decide.

It's "okay" - It isn't really my cup of tea, but that might be because I associate it with the Character Maxine from Soap Opera Hollyoaks and the giantress Madame Olympe Maxine.

Somewhere along the banks of the mighty Columbia
    The grumpy old lady in the hallmark cards (the one who is perpetually wearing slippers and a bathrobe and says things like, "If each day is a gift, I'd like to know where to return Mondays") is named Maxine. Which wouldn't bother me, except that I knew an actual Maxine who could have been the prototype for the Hallmark character. I want to like the name, it has all of the benchmarks for revival, but I can't get past the grumpy/frumpy old lady-ness. And your daughter won't thank you for "Maxie" when she hits junior high.
    Trying, trying, trying

Current favorites:
    Boy: Asa Guillaume, Barnaby August
    Girl: Apolline Iris- Polly, Clothilde Juno- Chloe

My coworker's wife is named Maxine, and when I first heard her name, I cringed and thought some not-nice things about it. But after getting to know him and her (and hearing it over and over and over), I'm really loving this name, and I hope to see it a lot more. Can't say the same for the nn Maxie, which I agree with pp will not seem like a great idea when she goes through puberty (or when her peers do, more accurately).

I really like it. I much prefer it to overused Charlotte. Though I would probably use the nn Max or even Zee or ZeeZee instead of Maxie to avoid the maxy-pad reference.

Maxine is just such a cool name. Thumbs up.
    Mama to ~Rowan Josephine 1/12~
    and ~Teagan Dahlia~ 5/13~