Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Wilfred?

Wilfred of Ivanhoe! I love the name Wilfred, it's on my new baby list. I find it dashing and smashing and soooo romantic. Gilbert is nice too (I too love Anne of Green Gables), but Wilfred is more fun.
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][CENTER]My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014[/CENTER][/FONT]

I really like both Wilfred & Gilbert. I remember being really upset upon finding out just how trendy Wilfred was. So, on the question of whether I like this vintage resurgence trend in the UK, I love this type of name so much but I hate that it has made some of my favourites too popular/trendy. First, I took Henry off my first name list about 7 years ago & then I took Arthur off a few years ago, & now I'm considering removing Albert I strongly dislike the vintage nickname trend referenced above though.

Annora Juliet, Elspeth, Verity, Zelda, Josephine, Marianne, Rosemary Constance
    Edmund Henry, Wesley, Jonah, Gilbert, August, Winston, Hugh Theodore

Caro, you do realise Wilfred's ranked at #305? That's 146 babies! I know it's had an upswing, but it''s not that much...
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][CENTER]My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014[/CENTER][/FONT]

Wilfred is one of my favourites for boys - I LOVE Wilf/Wilfie/Wolf/Freddie. So cute. My English teacher recently named his baby Wilfred 0swald (Wilfred after Wilfred Owens, naturally, as an English teacher - he goes by Wilf) which makes me love it even more.
    I also love Wilbur, Winston, William. Gilbert is also sweet, but there is something about it which puts me off. Maybe the 'Gil' part? Bertie is cute - it's on my list as a nickname for Bertram though.

Quote Originally Posted by charlieandperry1 View Post
    Actually a lot of these vintage 'ee'-ending names are cute: Alfie, Archie, Harry, Bobby, Charlie, Louie, Freddie, Teddy...
    I know at least 2 little boys with each of those names. They're everywhere in the UK! Also - Albi, Billie, Herbie. I even know a Willy. The same goes for girls - Daisy, Maisie, Millie, Molly, Annie, Tabby, Ellie, Gracie, Kitty, Katie, Evie, Ruby.
    close to my heart ★ Billie Cordelia - Jemima Eilidh - May Margaret - Estella Agnes - Jessamine Martha
    Emmett Jack - Alec Huw - Wilfred Nicholas - Rufus Kielder - Harrison Tadhg - Robert Fox - Wes Oberon

unusable-beautiful; Virginia Eseld & Dolores Eithne . ''She was Lo, plain Lo, in the morning, standing four feet ten in one sock. She was Lola in slacks. She was Dolly at school. She was Dolores on the dotted line'. 'olivia; ''somewhat of an enigma'' (http://bigsistercomplex.tumblr.com/)

Quote Originally Posted by ottilie View Post
    Caro, you do realise Wilfred's ranked at #305? That's 146 babies! I know it's had an upswing, but it''s not that much...
    That's true, I'd actually misremembered it as being higher, thank you! I think what happened is that I was frightened away by a huge jump up, & then met three baby Wilfreds in quick succession (though I was living in North London). Then it imprinted in my mind as 'trendy'. Also, I'm lucky in that Wilford is my mother's maiden name, so I could just switch allegiance!

Whilst I have you, I don't think I said properly how much I loved your final name choice, ottilie! Rosalind is so pretty, congrats

Annora Juliet, Elspeth, Verity, Zelda, Josephine, Marianne, Rosemary Constance
    Edmund Henry, Wesley, Jonah, Gilbert, August, Winston, Hugh Theodore