Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Names that mean "rock", "solid ground", or any other allusion to strength.

So I used to really like Petra for a girl, and while Peter is okay for a boy, it's too common for me to use. I'm not sure if hubby would go for Petra and I don't think it goes well with our other girls' names (Adelaide, Isla, Eloise).

So, any other names for both genders that mean "rock", "solid ground", "firm foundation", would be great. Other than that, names that have meanings that reference strength could be considered too (I did check out the Nameberry list of 'strong' names and nothing really jumped out at me except Griffin, but I don't really think it's our style).

Oh, there is Scandinavian heritage in our family, so if we were to consider a name that came from a different language, names from that area of the world would probably fit best.

Thanks.

The only ones I can think of are:

Alain
    Alaina
    Alan
    Alana
    Alanis
    Alen
    Harlowe
    Craig
    Ttc a baby brother or sister for Luther Wolf!

mom to Mckinley Mayfair, Christian Wayne & Sir Angus Fionn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    fave girls
    fave boys
    fave combos
    just for fun combos

I love Petra, very unique without sounding made-up and I think it sounds lovely with your sibset. And I like Griffin, have only met one, but it was spelled Gryphon.

Here are a few different types of rocks/gems. I think you could probably find a list online of the multiple types of stone, gemstones, minerals etc and maybe shorten one to your liking. Good luck and keep us updated

Slate
    Flint
    Jett
    Carnelia
    Jade
    Copper
    Micah
    Jasper
    Sterling
    Shale
    Stone
    Silver
    Basalt
    Granite
    Obsidian
    Scoria
    Breccia
    Marl
    Amber
    Amethyst
    Beryl
    Celestine
    Cobalt

Here's what Nameberry's Super Search feature gave me:

Names meaning or alluding to a rock or rocks:
    Boys:

Callen
    Craig

Girls:

Selah
    Tara

Names meaning or alluding to strength:
    Boys:

Barrett
    Ezekiel
    Hezekiah
    Valentino (I don't think this one fits your criteria )
    I also like Valerian, a variation of the above-suggested Valerius. However, its meaning is given on Nameberry as "potent," perhaps a different connotation of the word "strong" than you're looking for.

Girls:

Audrina
    Bree (given its origin as a form of Brid or Brigid, I'm not sure where they're getting the definition "strength." Maybe the meaning is debated.)
    Gabriella/Briella

I didn't do an exhaustive search, so maybe you'd like to check out the Super Search for yourself. It allows you to search by meaning, and you can refine it to narrow down the possibilities by several different factors.
    Congrats and best wishes!
    "He telleth the number of the stars; He calleth them all by their names."
    Psalm 147:4

Still dreaming:
    Tobias Rory Benjamin ~ Crispin Isaiah ~ Ransom Horatio ~ Lucius Olórin ~ James Deliverance
    Una Marguerite/Oona Sylvestra ~ Jessamyn Agnes ~ Branwen Evangeline ~ Alice Emmanuelle ~ Christiana Linnet