Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Using a Boy's Name as Part of a Girl's Double: Fashionable or Folly?

All right, Berries, I'm back!

After the hub nixed all of the beautiful classic names you suggested for us, we are back to the drawing board.
    One thing I've always loved is the Double Name, which seems to be a bigger cultural thing in the South than other parts of the USA.

After endless brainstorming sessions, we seem to have found a name we love: Edison-Rose. She would be a double barrel first name (middle name Pauline.) We know it's a mouth full, but in a world of Seraphinas and Evangelines we're not so worried about that.

Edison, when heard at all, is usually heard as a boy's name. Does that make the name too out there? I know little girls who go by Dillon, Taylor, and Ryan...Is this a logical next step or are we dooming our little lady to confusion all her days? Is Rose too generic or just the right touch of feminine style?

Thanks for your feedback!

If I met a little girl named Edison-Rose my first impression would be 'southern' as using surnames for 1st names ( on girls and boys) is a very southern tradition, as is the double- barreled name. That being said, I don't particularly care for Edison, I like the way it looks on paper but I'm not fond of the sound
    Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

I think it can be fashionable, depending the name, and the significance behind it. I am southern, and thought about using Tate, as it is a last name that goes back generations on my mother's side of the family... Anna-Tate.

As for Edison, well, I think I would prefer to see Addison-Rose, but I wouldn't call it bad, just different......
    ~ "How can there be too many children? That is like saying there are too many flowers."~ Mother Teresa

It strikes me as you liking Madison/Addison but fearing their popularity, grasping around for something slightly different from the pack, and adding a signal onto the end that this is, in fact, a girl.

I genuinely don't understand how you can simultaneously be attracted to a masculine/surname for your daughter, with the word -son right there, but also feel nervous about it being masculine and attaching Rose. It's like the ultimate mixed signal.
    Blade, MD

XY: Antoine Raphael (3.1.2012)
    XX: Cassia Viviane Noor (11.30.2013)

Quote Originally Posted by blade View Post
    It strikes me as you liking Madison/Addison but fearing their popularity, grasping around for something slightly different from the pack, and adding a signal onto the end that this is, in fact, a girl.

I genuinely don't understand how you can simultaneously be attracted to a masculine/surname for your daughter, with the word -son right there, but also feel nervous about it being masculine and attaching Rose. It's like the ultimate mixed signal.
    Absolutely this. There are surnames that work for girls; anything with 'son' or meaning 'son of' does not work. At all.

Matilda Sailor or Faye Matilda | Sylvie Wren or Simon Adler | Alice Violetta or Atlas Dov | Julian 'Jules' River or Juniper 'Joon' Lovelace | Roscoe Fox or Marlowe Fritz | Jane Lucinda or Lucien Wilde | Louisa Valor or Eloise March | Ivan Elliot or Iris Cordelia | August Jack or Jasper Hale | Dashiell Jude or Judah Reeve | Thea Marina or Marigold 'Maggie' Wynn | Finnegan Wallace or Felix Raphael

Just a grad student dreaming ahead...