Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Lightbulb African girl names(suggestions please)

I really need some girl names with African origin.(someone let me pick a name for them)
    I have gone through a lot of Swahili and Afrikaans names but haven't find anything I like except for Aisha, which is too popular for my taste and Bahoti, which causes pronunciation problems. I also like Amani(ka) but not sure if it is THE name.
    Maybe some of you ladies are familiar with Afrikaans and/or Swahili names could give me some suggestions? I need to pick a name but I am not really satisfied with Aisha. Any ideas will be great

If your friend and/or the baby in question is black, they probably won't be too keen on an Afrikaans name.

Is your friend/baby Muslim? If not, don't use Aisha [it's Arabic, used widely in the Muslim world including North & West Africa]. Same with Amani, which is a local variant of Iman, "faith."

What part of the continent is your friend interested in?
    Blade, MD

XY: Antoine Raphael
    XX: Cassia Viviane Noor

Aquila * Chrysanthe * Emmanuelle * Endellion * Ione * Jacinda * Lysandra * Melisande * Mireia * Petra * Rosamond * Seraphine * Silvana * Theophane / Blaise * Cyprian * Darius * Evander * Giles * Laurence * Lionel * Malcolm * Marius * Peregrine * Rainier

كنوز الصحراء الشرقية Hayat _ Qamar _ Sahar _ Amal _ Hanan / Altair _ Fahd _ Ilyas _ Sajjad _ Saqr _ Tariq

"African" is a little vague haha. What part of Africa?

I have a Nigerian friend named Ifeoluwa, I think it's pretty. It's pronounced {iff-AY-oh-loo-uh}, she goes by Ife {iff-AY}.
    Alice. Marian. Juno. Branwen. Helena. Polly. Ophelia. Rosalind. Cosima. Matilda. Edith. Anna. Claudia. Frances.
    Arthur. Henry. Caspian. Stanley. Justice. Dexter. Edmund. Thomas. Nathaniel. Forest. Oscar. Lucian. Peter.

http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9782360
    http://listography.com/sapphires

I think Amani/Imani are very pretty but in my head they're very Arabic names, and I probably would be surprised to meet a non-Muslim named either. Is your friend Muslim?

I've spent a lot of time in Uganda and have a lot of friends there, and whilst they tend to have Biblical or virtue names, I met a Ugandan woman who's daughters where Miremba (mee-rehm-bah) and Dembe (dem-bay), both coming from the Luganda word for Peace which I think are just so beautiful.

[I've just realised Mirembe has been suggested already - it's lovely].
    Last edited by oliviasarah; April 12th, 2013 at 01:31 PM.
    close to my heart ★ Billie Cordelia - Jemima Eilidh - May Margaret - Estella Agnes - Jessamine Martha
    Emmett Jack - Alec Huw - Wilfred Nicholas - Rufus Kielder - Harrison Tadhg - Robert Fox - Wes Oberon

unusable-beautiful; Virginia Eseld & Dolores Eithne . ''She was Lo, plain Lo, in the morning, standing four feet ten in one sock. She was Lola in slacks. She was Dolly at school. She was Dolores on the dotted line'. 'olivia; ''somewhat of an enigma'' (http://bigsistercomplex.tumblr.com/)