Names Searched Right Now:

Thread: Estella?

Estella?

What are your thoughts on the name Estella? Thoughts, associations, imagery? Also, do you think Stevie would work as a nickname?

Thanks!
    Last edited by rockynrobyn; November 18th, 2013 at 08:53 AM.

I really like the name Estella and have since first reading Great Expectations. It was on my list until I learned there is apparently going to be another Great Expectations movie produced.
    #1 on the way!
    Why yes, I probably should be working!

Benjamin * Sebastian * Ezra * Edmund * Henry * Hugo * Cormac * Andrew * Winston * Levi * Zev * Theodore

Arabella * Aviva * Ariella * Maeve * Matilda * Eleanor * Catherine * Charlotte * Beatrice

I have a soft spot for the name Estella. It never appealed to me before but then I met a girl named Estella through mutual friends and it started to grow on me. I think about adding it to my list all the time but haven't.

The Estella I know is a very pretty, spunky, blonde haired girl so that's what I picture :P
    -Favorites-
    Etta . Evelyn . Hazel . Iris . Lilia . Lilith . Noelle . Rose . Ruby . Vera . Willow
    Connor . Evan . Ezra . Foster . Grey . Kieran . Rowan . Shane . Silas . Zane

- Top Picks -
    Willow Evelyn & Foster Grey

- Forever Missed -
    June 6, 2014
    Lily PrimroseIris Rhoswen

I'm honestly surprised this name hasn't had a comeback yet. Stella is popular, names containing -ell and -ella are popular, vintage names are popular -- it's a hidden gem! Estella has made a very slow climb from a low at 988 in 1970 to 882 today, and was at its highest in the late 19th/early 20th century. So it doesn't even have that sharp "comeback curve" (at least yet) that dates it to the 2010s - unlike Ella and Stella.

My main association is also Great Expectations. I see it on a dreamy girl with dark hair and dark eyes - graceful, maybe a dancer.
    Stevie sort of sounds like a stretch ... but a lot of the nicknames I like for my favorite names are stretches, too. If you present it early on people will get used to it. The great thing about Estella is there are a lot of nicknames available - Stella, Ella, Ellie, Tellie, Tillie, Estie, Esta - so if she doesn't end up seeming like a Stevie, you have options.
    Girls:
    Nickname-able: Susanna, Johanna, Paloma, Lucille, Harriet, Beatrix, Rosemary, Juniper, Marigold, Annabeth, Gwendolen, Kathleen, Tabitha
    Short and to-the-point: Flora, Jane, Laura, Anne, Cecile, Susan, Kaia

Boys:
    So much easier: Hugh/Hugo, Wilfred, Basil, Augustin, Edmund, Arlo, Timothy, Frederick