Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Astarte

Astarte

Is the name Astarte too out there for a first name? I really like it, especially the meaning behind it (she's an ancient goddess) but I realize it is a little unconventional

I really like it too, but it's definitely way out there. I think it would be great in the middle spot, maybe ok in the first.

Bizarrely, I prefer Ishtar (different name, same goddess) despite the fact that the sound of it is really unpleasant and it has all the qualities of names I hate.
    Gwen
    College student, bookworm, terrible influence.
    Owner of a cat: Minerva "Minnie"

Current favorites:
    Odette Cosima Viola Ailsa Coraline
    Emmett Kieran Prosper Zeke August

How do you pronounce it? As-tart or As- tar-tay? It's a little too out there for my taste, if the pronunciation is As-tart I can see a lot of teasing :/

Yes, too out there. I'm not sure how I feel about the name, guess I'm neutral then. I heard about the goddess once and not really like her. But maybe it's just because the point of view from the book I read. I pronounce it As-tar-tay.
    Cynthia/Luna
    twenty-something name nerd. infj

Seraphina Juliette Estelle. Evangeline Laetitia Odette. Catalina Ariadne Helen. Valentina Bellatrix Yvaine
    Violetta Catherine Lenore. Isabelle Faustina Clare. Rosalind Anna Belphoebe
    Clementine Audrey Rowena. Helena Edelweiss. Talitha Caroline. Vanessa Rose Aphrodite

Peregrine Lysander James. Gavriel Alexander Callum. James Luca Auberon. Caspian Frederic Levi
    Perseus Arthur Flynn. Cassius Jason Ambrose. Damien Alexei Orion

It's a-star-tee.

I think its problematic. People still can't get their heads around Astrid, I don't hold out much hope for Astarte.