Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Is Imogen the new Amelia?

What do you think? Around these parts Amelia and Amelie and Mia are fairly frequent occurrances - to the point where I would consider them a tad "trendy" (i.e. in the same vein as Charlotte, Sophia, Olivia, Isabelle etc) and therefore something I would avoid.

My question is - is Imogen heading in the same direction? It has skirted the top 100 around here for years (falling in an out). It is around the top 30/40 in the UK in Australia, which tends to have similar naming styles to us.

But, it does not have the nickname possibilities of Amelia (i.e. Mia and Amy), it does not have the popular "a" ending, and it does not have the Aviatrix namesake.

so, what do you think? I like names that are known, easy to spell, and easy to pronounce, but are not popular or trendy. Imogen is neither popular nor trendy right now - my worry is that it will be in five years.

Are you in America? I don't think it'll ever get huge in America just because it's not as obviously girly as Charlotte, Sophia, Olivia, Isabelle, Amelia, etc. It doesn't have a particularly girly sound, even though it is feminine. I think it might break the top 1000 in America in a few years, but I doubt it'll gain too much traction. I can't see it ever being that trendy. Although it is used a lot more in other English-speaking nations outside of the US, so there it might be trendy--I really couldn't say, since I'm not there. Some names are fairly consistently popular, though (like Katherine), and they're just classic. I can't really see Imogen as trendy--just as a refreshing, timeless choice.

Good luck!
    Ashley
    twenty-something namenerd and aspiring novelist

Isabelle Aurora Grace | Caleb Elias Joseph | Arianne Eleanor Daisy | Everett Joshua Charles
    Olivia Wren Camille | Jack August Wilder | Violet Ophelia Claire | Avery Ian George

I am in NZ. Our names tend to be be much more similar to the UK, than the US - which is what worries me - Imogen has definitely reached "popular" status in the UK.

I'm an Imogen name lover. Plzzz stay hidden in America so I can get me a baby Imogen. Or Lavinia. If either go trendy I may flip. It's a biggie in the UK so NZ might not be too far behind? #30 in Australia (Victoria), #34 in England, #46 in Australia (New South Wales), #76 in Scotland.
    “And remember, my sentimental friend, that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others.” L. Frank Baum, The Wizard of Oz

Imogen is currently number 26 in England and Wales, number 50 in Australia and number 77 in Scotland. I doubt it will reach the same popularity in North America. It's not even in the top 1000 in the states. That might change in 2011, but I think it's still safe to use. I don't know if that will be true in 10 or 20 years. But I love being a 20 year old Amelia now that my name's getting popular. I feel like when I get old maybe people will think I'm younger than I am because of my name.. or at least a girl can dream right?
    <3 Amelia

Check out my baby name videos on YouTube! http://www.youtube.com/user/everythingbabynames