Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Names from the book you're currently reading

I am currently reading the book Frederica by Georgette Heyer. It's set 1818 and the characters have some wonderful names, so I thought I could start a thread were we post the names of the characters in whichever book we're reading at the minute and comment on them.

I'll start with Frederica :

Females
    Augusta - I've never liked any of the 'August' names.
    Charis - Absolutely beautiful, I love it. My current 'name crush'.
    Chloë - A nice name, overused now, but it would have been very interesting at the time.
    Elizabeth "Eliza" - I love Elizabeth, but Eliza isn't my favourite form.
    Frederica - Beautiful. I love Frederick too.
    Jane - Lovely, simple and sweet.
    Louisa - Don't love it, but it's a nice enough name. I might like it more if it didn't remind me of a whiny girl I went to school with.
    Seraphina - Nice, but I don't love it either.

Males
    Carlton - NMS at all.
    Charles - Lovely and handsome.
    Darcy - LOVE, LOVE, LOVE!
    Endymion - Handsome, works well in the novel, but I can't really see it as a name in real life.
    Felix - See Darcy.
    Harry - Lovely but overused at the minute. I prefer Henry.
    Jessamy - It's nice but I can't quite make up my mind about it. I imagine it would be presumed to be a girl's name today.
    Vernon - Ugh. And this is the romantic lead male. Thankfully he's a marquis and goes by his title Alverstoke almost all of of the time.
    My furry darlings ~ Bodie the border terrier & Portia and Penny the guinea pigs

Amabel ~ Beryl ~ Bryony ~ Cecily ~ Charis ~ Clara ~ Dinah ~ Flora ~ Georgiana ~ Ophelia ~ Rosamund ~ Sylvie ~ Tabitha ~ Tamsin ~ Violet

Arthur ~ Barnaby ~ Basil ~ Bertie ~ Darcy ~ Elliot ~ Felix ~ Fraser ~ Frederick ~ Henry ~ Monty ~ Rowan ~ Rupert ~ Theodore ~ Tristan

Well, I'm currently reading a non-fiction book called Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World that Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain. One of the people she interviewed is mentioned as having a wife named Celerie. I read that today and my first thought was: "Must check that on Nameberry!" Someone really shares a name with celery??
    Miriam ~ Helena ~ Estella ~ Beatrice ~ Anastasia ~ Alice ~ Veronica ~ Sarah
    Paul ~ Wesley ~ Walter ~ Edmund ~ Isaac ~ Abram ~ Gabriel

(Still) trying for baby#1
    Avatar: Nathan Altman, Portrait of Anna Akhmatova

Celerie? That's... quite a name. I can sort of see the appeal, but who wants to be named after a vegetable?
    My furry darlings ~ Bodie the border terrier & Portia and Penny the guinea pigs

Amabel ~ Beryl ~ Bryony ~ Cecily ~ Charis ~ Clara ~ Dinah ~ Flora ~ Georgiana ~ Ophelia ~ Rosamund ~ Sylvie ~ Tabitha ~ Tamsin ~ Violet

Arthur ~ Barnaby ~ Basil ~ Bertie ~ Darcy ~ Elliot ~ Felix ~ Fraser ~ Frederick ~ Henry ~ Monty ~ Rowan ~ Rupert ~ Theodore ~ Tristan

I just read The Fault In Our Stars by John Green (again! it's amazing) and the 2 main characters are Hazel & Augustus! I haven't read any other John Green books yet but I know he uses the name Margot in another book and his own son is called Henry Atticus, I think. He has good naming taste!
    Arlo|Finn|Oliver|Taylor|Fox|Rhodes|Archer|Bram|Bay |Lane|Evett|Tyne|Bodhi

Everly|Arla|Clementine|Avalon|Iris|Charla|Allegra| Nova|Lark|Birdie|Ione|Indigo|Lumina

Nude Walker by Bathsheba Monk- Kat, Max, Duck, Barbara, Jenna, Krista, Houda, and Wind. For the most part, the characters have names that make sense, which I think is important. Barbara is a Pennsylvanian in her 60s, Jenna her 20s, Wind is Native American, and Houda is Lebanese-American. It puts me off if a novel is meant to be realism and there's a 40-year-old Nevaeh or something like that. The name I think should reflect the character's place in the story, but also the background that the character is given (including time period and age.)