Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Elena vs Selena

Elena vs Selena

Both names are prominent in pop culture: Selena Gomez and Elena Gilbert from The Vampire Diaries. And are only a letter different.

Which do you prefer? Do you think the names are very tied to their pop counterparts?
    Laurel - 21 - Toronto

This might be because I'm old, but I've never heard of Selena Gomez and I've never seen The Vampire Diaries. So for me they're not tied to those people at all. Elena is for me a very Russian name, there are plenty on my family tree. Selena makes me think of Selena Quintanilla-Pérez (again, I'm old...), and the moon goddess Selene. I think I like Selena a little bit better, Elena always sounded whiny to me. I prefer (non optional) Alena, Selene or Serena though.
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][CENTER]My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014[/CENTER][/FONT]

I definitely prefer Selena! No contest for me. I don't directly associate Selena with Selena Gomez because I knew about the name before she was famous. She definitely crosses my mind though. I mostly think about the moon and how pretty and whimsical I think the name is.

I don't associate Elena with the VDs at all. I knew plenty of people named Elena before the show existed.

I think Selena is associated with Selena Gomez more than Elena is with the VDs. Not to the point where it's unusable though.
    nineteen & renaming myself soon

Interesting! Thanks for your replies. I too am preferring Selena to Elena, and I'm starting to find Elena to be whiny. I also love the description of whimsy for Selena! I agree it is.
    Laurel - 21 - Toronto

Celina is my middle name, so I prefer Selena over Elena. I do like Elena though. Personally, I think they are very usable and not too strongly associated with Gomez and TVD to cause any issues. The name Selena (when spelled like that) also reminds me of the singer who was murdered.
    Ttc a baby brother or sister for Luther Wolf!