Names Searched Right Now:
Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Oh no, we'll do the whole thing; Christmas, Hanukkah, angels and candles! I love Christmas... I just never believed in Father Christmas (we've always celebrated Christmas the Norwegian way, on Christmas Eve, and then Father Christmas comes with the presents, and it was always very clear my grandfather was the one hiding behind a horrible mask!), and he was never really a big deal. My mum mainly decorated with angels, stars and glitter, very few Father Christmas decorations.

(Sorry for steering off topic as well!)
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][CENTER]My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014[/CENTER][/FONT]

Just adding to all the school talk: I think I live in the last state in the US where the cut-off for kindergarten is the end of the calendar year and kids are to be enrolled the year they turn five, so the youngest in the class are the fall/December babies who start kindergarten when they're still 4.
    mom to livvy jozefa 7.10.13

Though it will be very very far in the future, I'd lean towards September/October or March/April. My mum hated that my brother was born late October, though I think that winter was particularly bad, and my brother was reportedly an incredibly difficult baby. So bad to the point that it has been said that she only agreed to another child provided she wouldn't have to deal with a winter newborn, and thus, I was planned for April, and it was then that I was born! I do like having an April birthday, I've pretty much always never had to be at school for my birthday, though it has almost exclusively rained, but that's British weather for you.

Quote Originally Posted by lineska View Post
    Just adding to all the school talk: I think I live in the last state in the US where the cut-off for kindergarten is the end of the calendar year and kids are to be enrolled the year they turn five, so the youngest in the class are the fall/December babies who start kindergarten when they're still 4.
    That is interesting, in Ontario, kids start school the year they turn four. Children whose birthdays are in September to December start school when they are three, turning four. I was three when I started school and turned four a few weeks later (my Birthday is in September).
    Ttc a baby brother or sister for Luther Wolf!

Well, in a semi-vacuum, I'd like to have my first baby in May, as I'll probably (still) be in graduate school and courses at my university tend to end at the beginning of May. This would give me all summer to work from home and not have to worry about courses or teaching. Furthermore, a May birthday would still fall within the academic calendar for most primary and secondary schools, thus allowing him or her to celebrate at school. The one big wrench in my wonderful plan (besides conceiving at the right time, of course) is that my DH leaves for about one-to-two months every spring to collect data for a big research project he's conducting 3000 miles away. That would make May the worst possible month for me to give birth!

There are some studies that suggest some birth month effects on achievement and well being, but I'm not very familiar with the research. I would posit that being one of the youngest kids in the class may exacerbate other existing problems, but that it wouldn't be a huge deal on its own. I dont think it's something I would stress over. I know many school districts allow younger children to be assessed in order to help parents decide wither to start them in school immediately or wait a year.

Ottilie - The staggering start dates based on age is so interesting! I've never heard of that before.
    Loving right now:
    Eulalie Catharina, Beatrix Eveline, Cecily Morgana
    Ivo Marius, Euan Casper, Remy Nathaneal, Crispin Adair